Just became full cave certified...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
was quite a challenge, lots of task loading, but the skills will add to my repitoir...

definitely looking to go back to do some exploring!

--c

congrats

Where'd you do your class? Who was your instructor? Which caves did you dive? Gotta divulge the details so those of us who are currently caveless can live vicariously through you . . . :)

sorry about that...

i did most of my classes in the lake city, florida area. usually took about 30-45 minutes to drive out to the shop, "dive outpost," and a few minutes to get to whereever we were diving for the day. nice people at the dive shop, and the owner even has accomidations there if you'd like to save a few bucks!

while i've dove the cenotes in mexico, i never got any kind of certification, so had to go from cavern, intro to cave, apprentice cave, and then full cave! did it in all in 7 days, 17 dives...

i was taught by, "michael o'leary." really good and knowledgeable instructor! we butted heads a bit due to the fact that i trust my equipment, i dive my computer, and the cave divers there typically dive tables... i understood his rationale, but still trust my computers... if i can argue with someone and they'll still dive with me, they're the kind of diver i want diving with me!

we dove in peacock springs state park, through orange grove, peacock 1 & 3, traverse to olsen sink and back, and cow springs. i went through peanut restriction, nicholson tunnel, and on a different day, did little river.

i truly feel like the skills will be an asset to the ones i've already learned and i feel like i've got a new perspective on having to maintain really good bouyancy.

i would totally recommend the classes, even if you have to do only one at a time!

cheers!

--c

Where'd you do your class? Who was your instructor? Which caves did you dive? Gotta divulge the details so those of us who are currently caveless can live vicariously through you . . . :)

sorry about that...

i did most of my classes in the lake city, florida area. usually took about 30-45 minutes to drive out to the shop, "dive outpost," and a few minutes to get to whereever we were diving for the day. nice people at the dive shop, and the owner even has accomidations there if you'd like to save a few bucks!

while i've dove the cenotes in mexico, i never got any kind of certification, so had to go from cavern, intro to cave, apprentice cave, and then full cave! did it in all in 7 days, 17 dives...

i was taught by, "michael o'leary." really good and knowledgeable instructor! we butted heads a bit due to the fact that i trust my equipment, i dive my computer, and the cave divers there typically dive tables... i understood his rationale, but still trust my computers... if i can argue with someone and they'll still dive with me, they're the kind of diver i want diving with me!

we dove in peacock springs state park, through orange grove, peacock 1 & 3, traverse to olsen sink and back, and cow springs. i went through peanut restriction, nicholson tunnel, and on a different day, did little river.

i truly feel like the skills will be an asset to the ones i've already learned and i feel like i've got a new perspective on having to maintain really good bouyancy.

i would totally recommend the classes, even if you have to do only one at a time!

cheers!

--c

Carlos,
Congrats on the full cave, next time you are in the area call me and we will do some diving. Good luck with Joel's trimix class.
Chad

thanks! will do. i want to dive the wrecks in truk, but if i can't get anyone to go with me, i'll be back in florida in a few months! i think the trimix will give me more strengths just like cave did! looking forward to it.

--c

Could you expand a little on your differing opinions with O'Leary concerning computer use?

i don't think he dislikes or distrusts computers, his point is that they fail! i can understand that... everything can fail. i don't want to live my life worrying about what is going to fail and not do it. now, i'm not going to jump into a fire and hope i live, but i dive because i love it and i trust my computer more than my brain. all things being equal, my computer lets me enjoy the dive, fully! i can set my limits, be them depth, dive time, gasses, etc. i haven't used tables since i first learned to dive and remember making more mistakes on tables while i follow the computer or software and haven't gotten bent... i know there are a lot of people that have bad luck with electronics, be it abuse, neglect, or other. i buy good electronics and they last for me! i change the batteries early, and let only authorized technicians maintain my equipment!

would you believe the first time i took my omega seamaster diving, it flooded?! true! now i don't take it underwater! and i would think that it should hold up better and a plastic computer console. i use a cobra in guage mode as a back up and a uwatec smart tec with wireless transmitters as my primary.

on the other hand, i mentioned to him that i also use diving software, and he likes that as they are basically, electronic tables. i plan my dive for my computer, put in a contingency on my dive software, write down or make a label for my slate, and off i go. (the dymo lable maker makes a cool clear label that affixes well to my wrist slate and i don't have to worry about legibilty or rubbing off what i have written...)

by nature, i'm cautious and know my limits! i've cancelled dives when i was too tired and also know when to push myself a little harder.

i would totally recommend mike to teach you cave diving!

--c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom