Just Curious...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe DIR as they would like everyone to believe. But not the original concept behind it.

And I dont really care what your name is...

divegary once bubbled...

go to your room and don't come out until you can be nice to your friends on SB

LOL!!! I'm just messing with him Gary, I gotta have some fun here...

OH, johnnythan, my boy...

That thread means nothing to me. That is a transcript of a talk that George did. OF COURSE he is going to say that he came up with DIR.

Have you ever heard of WIlliam Hogarth Main???

Maybe you should do a little search since you are so good at it, and ENLIGHTEN YOURSELF....

As I said before, they came up with a system that works well for them, the WKPP, and alot of deep cave explorers. They are DIR, however, the foundation, and the concept behind the gear configurations is A Hogarthian concept. That is where it all started.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
OH, johnnythan, my boy...

That thread means nothing to me. That is a transcript of a talk that George did. OF COURSE he is going to say that he came up with DIR.

Have you ever heard of WIlliam Hogarth Main???

Maybe you should do a little search since you are so good at it, and ENLIGHTEN YOURSELF....

Insults aside, the talk contains a *ton* of information about rules they've set, gear config ideas they've had to come up with, and dive procedures they've had to invent and standardize. Lots of little details, a few big details.

The point is that there's a *lot* more to DIR than the basic Hogarthian gear config.

Whatever the foundation and concept are, there's an a$$ ton of reality and detail incorporated into DIR.

As I said before, they came up with a system that works well for them, the WKPP, and alot of deep cave explorers. They are DIR, however, the foundation, and the concept behind the gear configurations is A Hogarthian concept. That is where it all started.

That's exactly what I was saying in the beginning. DIR was invented for Wakulla. It's based on a Hogarthian concept, but a lot of work had to be done to get to the point where they could do an 18,000 foot penetration.

coming back to the original question...

in mexico you can go to the surface quite often, so there is also the thing about "maximum distance to air" which makes the cave hard to "escape".

There are also big caves in Europe, but they are often single-tunnels....

You might have a look at
http://www.ekpp.de/projects/doux02/push.html
if you want

So we have depth in terms of deep, and depth as in penetration in continuous passage from the entrance and also maximum explored passage .... anything else ?

Michael

db8us once bubbled...
in mexico you can go to the surface quite often, so there is also the thing about "maximum distance to air" which makes the cave hard to "escape".
I consider "penetration" as "maximum distance from exit"

Kinda along the lines of the fact that you can only walk into a forrest half way... :)

Roak

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom