Just received copy of 'Submerged' DVD - Lost Villages Documentary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,

I just came back from vacation to find a DVD in the mailbox. It's the Lost Villages documentary from John Earle & Frank Burelle with the Historical Underwater Exploration (HUE).

I have only been able to watch about 45mins of it thus far but it was enough to renew my interest in flying back home to Cornwall and dive those sites. One day I will. It's just so fascinating to just recently starting to scuba dive and find out that there were a bunch of villages that were flooded when the seaway and the power dam were constructed... and never knowing about it. It's fascinating! Somehow, the idea of diving a house seems more interesting than diving the shipwrecks down here in Miami. Unfortunately, from what I gather from the DVD and whatever articles I could find, there's no standing buildings. Makes sense. However, you do see the canal lockes, bridges, roads and a power generating house.

Here's what's written on the DVD jacket (I hope I'm allowed to post it up here):

"A tantalising glimpse of the underwater landscape of the Lost Villages of the St Lawrence - and a fresh look at the human stories behind it - Frances Marin, co-author, Stormont Dundas and Glengarry - 1945-78"

"After 50 years, John Earle and Frank Burelle have given former residents of the Lost Villages, not only a glimpse of the underwater artifacts of their beloved villages, but the opportunity to take a trip back home. A truly excellent documentary! - Rosemary Rutley, author, Voices from the Lost Villages"

"On August 10th 1954, a sod-turning ceremony took place in Cornwall Ontario, and in Messena New York, that symbolize both an end and new beginning. It marked the official start of two incredible constructions projects; the International St. Lawrence Seaway and Power Project. It also meant the disappearance of 6 villages and 3 hamelts which lay in the waters path. These became known as "the Lost Villages".

"Explore the murky depths of St. Lawrence River with the H.U.E. team as they rediscover the treasured past of the "Lost Villages".

More information about the DVD and how to purchase a copy can be found at: Historical Underwater Exploration

There's at least one standing building, the Moulinette Grist Mill, although it's missing it's roof :D That might even be on the DVD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom