Just sitting around at 30 to 40'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sly New Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm reluctant to even bring this up with anyone else. Every time I mention anything related to solo diving it gets a negative reaction. So here I am :D

I have access to a pair of dbl 100's that I've been wanting to haul up to the lake at night and go out and sit on the bottom for a while. Nothing strenuous, not going anyplace new and nothing I haven't been doing with a buddy already. Except I'll get more time to just sit. It's hard to explain but I feel like I'm floating in outer space down there.

To my way of thinking this should be easy as pie and very low risk. Especially as I could literally dump my gear and ascend without any difficulty at all.

I'm asking because I know I'm often way off base, so, what do you think?

Let me explain myself better: The plan -
I think I can safely do 90 minutes on the first drop off at Blue River. I also figured out if I used our van which has a chair lift I could haul the tanks in a four wheel mesh barn cart we have and just roll it into the water. Then put my gear on in the shallows, and after making sure everything is working, go out to the second drop-off and sit with my lights and a bag of chicken and watch the fish. And just relax. I don't have a pony tank. I have access to the AL100's that are sitting in our garage and won't run out before my time is up. I don't know if its just me, maybe I'm weird, but I really like to just sit quietly in the water when I'm not hunting for my next meal. Its interesting to me even when its profoundly still and all you can hear is yourself breathing.

Last edited:
Double 100s seems like a lot of overkill for that. Make sure you are able to operate them otherwise it is just a lot of extra gas and weight. I suggest you at least read one of the solo diving books just to make sure there is nothing you have overlook. You will need quite a few more dives under your belt before you are eligible for a solo course.

I suspect it would be easier with a single tank and a pony.

Are you going to take a chair?

Sounds like fun. I have yet to do a night dive, but have the lights for it. And I know what you mean about just sitting there in a "different world".

Hell yes that would be fun! I love solo diving!

Sent from my DROID X2

I helps to look at someones profile and read some of their previous posts.

Please find someone to dive with.

Are you going to take a chair?

I have a fishing chair I could take :p Thanks for the idea! I might even bring a pole!

---------- Post added ----------

I helps to look at someones profile and read some of their previous posts.

Please find someone to dive with.

I have someone to dive with. A lot. But he doesn't like to sit still. He always has a point A to B to C to D plan. Or we're doing drills :(

You are pretty new for a night solo. It sounds fun, but think about a safety diver. Heck, they could be lights off and on a teather...

I've been Solo Diving as soon as I was cert'd ,but I made sure when I started it was: A)an area I was really familiar with ,B) it was an area where there might be other divers near by(just incase)C) when ever trying new equipment B/C ,ponys,regs etc(or doubles for the 1st time) I was somewhere where they had some foot traffic ,and other diver in general area. But luckly I never needed them but its always nice to have a "just incase plan". good luck ,and enjoy the solitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom