Just sitting around at 30 to 40'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright. I'll stop thinking about it for a while. I was kind of hoping there would be a lot of people who do it despite there being so many people around here against it. I'll just work harder on proving I should have been a killer whale :p

Oh yeah, and thank you all for taking the time to help me and not being mean :)

Alright. I'll stop thinking about it for a while. I was kind of hoping there would be a lot of people who do it despite there being so many people around here against it. I'll just work harder on proving I should have been a killer whale :p

Oh yeah, and thank you all for taking the time to help me and not being mean :)

Its not that every one is against it......lets be honest, every dive master and instructor is essentially a solo diver. What most people stress is the experience and abilities that are needed to perform a solo dive safe regardless depth.

Dives that go right are easy....its when things start to go wrong that training, experience and abilities come into play.

Take some time and do lots of dives, hone in on the skills needed to keep you safe for when the $hit hits the fan. After that, solo dive till your hearts content. :D

Can you not find a buddy that will dive the profile you are looking to do? Even your regular buddy, if informed in advanced may be willing.Be safe.

Sounds like fun. I have yet to do a night dive, but have the lights for it. And I know what you mean about just sitting there in a "different world".

One of my favorite night dives was when I shut off my light and was able to dive by the light of a full moon. Really cool and much more natural. Everything comes out and you really get to experience the ocean in a more natural setting. Spooky at first but absolutely awesome!

I've been diving since 1965 and a lot of that has been solo. After all these years I still like to dive in shallow water and just sit. I often take along a can or two of Cheez Whiz for the fish. I don't need to swim all over the place to have a good time. Sometimes, sitting quietly on the bottom and just breathing is completely satisfying. I've never done it at night, though. I'm gonna have to try that.

At your experience level, though, If you are determined to dive alone, I think it would be prudent to stay shallow (less than 30 feet) and at least arrange for someone to provide, at minimum, some sort of surface support if you get into any trouble. Borrowing a small pony bottle from someone wouldn't hurt, either.

Several suggestions.

You do not appear to have the experience I'd recommend for solo diving, especially at night. However, that is your call. Most of my thousands of dives have been solo starting with my first one. However, that was because in the old days we only had one rig to share between three of us and fills were hard to come by where I lived.

Diving doubles solo seems a bit risky to me at your stage of the game. If your SAC rate is decent, you should be able to get a nice long dive at those depths with just an 80. I've done dives as long as 91 minutes on a single 80 and 2 hr 46 min on a single HP120. Depending on water temperature and exposure protection, you are bound to get cold before that!

If you decide to do this, please make sure someone knows where and when you are diving so they can check on you. I would strongly recommend a person on the surface who could enter the water and reach you should something happen. I even more strongly suggest that you wait and get more experience before doing this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom