Just Starting Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As noted in a previous post, I shoot both a 10-17mm Fisheye DX Tokina and 10-24mm DX Nikkor. The 10-24mm DX Nikkor is really good wide angle. I'm not overly fond of fisheye lenses and prefer the lower distortion which is available via a regular wide angle. My Tokina is a recent addition as I have a Hawaii trip planned to dive with mantas in December.

-AZTinman

I shoot a D7000 with either 105 or 60 micro (macro) and a 10-17 fisheye. I highly suggest finding a Nauticam housing.

The 7000 has a built-in focus motor, so you can use more lenses with it, such as the Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm 2.8D etc.

I would suggest the D7000. It has the focus motor which is a big deal.

As to lenses, the Nikon 60 or 105 macro wold be the way to go.

For the 60, it focuses really fast. You can use a Subsee wet diopter and that works well. The major problem with the 60 is the fact that in order to get true macro, a one to one image size on your sensor, you need to get in too close to be practical.

The 105 has a longer working distance but a tiny depth of field. Keeping things in focus is tough if there is any current at all if you are shooting true macro. Also this lens because of its telephoto effect is harder to control in autofocus. It hunts for focus and often misses the subject. With the longer standoff range, you can take photos of shy subjects.

The 60 is a much easier lens to use. You might think of getting a port for the 60 and use it while you get the hang of the system. You can use that port with a port extender for the 105,

You can get by with one strobe but 2 makes for not having the shadows behind your subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom