Just thinking about starting in UW photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree completely with everything above. Basically, it's going to boil down to your budget and how involved you want to be with underwater photography. If you don't want to spend a lot of money and are happy with just taking some photos to show family and friends, documenting the underwater world, I would go with a point-and-shoot. However, if you really want to be an "underwater photographer" and take photos like Mike Vietch or "Gilligan" above (check out their websites), you are going to need manual control of your camera and strobes. Regardless of what you choose, the most important thing is to learn YOUR camera and take lots of photos. Just my two cents, from one rank amateur to another.

CheddarChick:
I would like to hear from other photographers about what they started out with for gear. I really like the aspects of digital, but not sure what to buy.
Well, I asked myself the same question just a few weeks ago. I purchased a Fuji F10 point-n-shoot from Uncle Pug a week or so before I left for Bonaire. Considering how little I know about photography, and that I was figuring out the camera "on the fly", I was very pleased with how nice the photos turned out (click on my gallery to see a sampling).

The whole setup (camera and housing) can be purchased for a bit over $500 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom