Kayak Dive and Breakfast - Sat, July 29, 7:00am

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be fun! I'd like to watch how they do it first, I can't imagine how they get their gear back onto the kayak after the dive. So Kayuba folk, are you giving demos on Saturday?

I am pretty new to the kayak thing as well and I found the site at the link below to be helpful. The layout is a little cumbersome and I don't agree with everything he has to say, but I like his procedures.

http://www.kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/topics.htm

Hope it helps another newb!

PS I really like the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT's and pre-scramblers with the 'designed by Tim Niemier' logo - they are really stable and IMO pretty strong/durable. The prices are right also. ebay is a wonderful thing!

2 person kayaks are nice, if all you are doing is paddling around,
but add on the extra weight for two sets of dive gear and
IMHO you are better off with two single person kayaks.

I've seen an attempt on a 2-person yak to tow an inflatable raft with the gear in it,
but it was like dragging an anchor.

As far as gear and re-entry, my modus operandi at the end of the dive goes like:

1. inflate BC, and remove it on the surface
2. put tank butt on kayak, grab tank neck with one hand, kayak with other,
and slide your tank-BC-reg set-up back into the tank well / kayak deck
3. strap it in (for sanity, safety and $$$ sake, we strap most everything down or stow it away in case you flip)
4. with fins still on, grab side of kayak and in one move push yourself up and pull kayak under your midsection
5. swing your back leg over the kayak to straddle it
6. have a seat and get your fins, mask, whatever stowed away for the paddle back into shore

Oh yeah, and at the very start of the day, on your paddle out to the reef,
about 100 or so yards out from shore look back and notice where you are parked
and/or launching from. Makes it easier to recognize the shoreline when you are coming back in.

I may be showing up for a beach dive. Got a sitter for Hermit Crab! Will look through the posts again for directions and times.. unless somebody wants to repost! :)

Question about the breakfast, is it before or after the dive? I need to have fuel in my tummy before diving, so I need to know if I should eat breakfast at home before showing up.

Hope to see you there, Jenny!

Breakfast, most likely -after- the dive.

I tend to have a banana and maybe a coffee before I hit the beach.

Directions ... on A-1-A
North of Birch State Park and Sunrise Blvd,
South of Oakland Park Blvd
right in the area of all the parallel parking near the beach and close to shore,
we're between 14th -16th Court.

Just look for all the plastic boats. :)

well bad news is that i have a tiny ear infection.. so AB for me for the next 5 days.. luckily the doc gave me the ok for next weekend :)

Renee and I will be carpooling. See ya'l in the A.M.!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom