Kayak diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, you've peaked my interest. Only paddling I've done was 15yrs ago in a canoe.
My husband is interested as well. What I want to learn most is basic kayak stuff. how to paddle, different types of kayaks (to enable the proper purchae of said kayak if I like it) I've bought and replace too much scuba gear in the past and would like to avoid that in the future with the kayaking thing.
THe lakes are cold, so I presume you teach in a pool? what would the ideal class size be? Maybe I can drum up one or 2 others....Garrett??? that would like to try it.
We would be willing to spend the weekend in Yuma for the class...sheesh did I just agree to spend a weekend in Yuma? anyways...the diving part is secondary.
Cost? Equipment I need to provide? details, details....:)

I've done a little bit of kayak diving. This was down in Mexico. Personally, I'd rather have a canoe with a little trolling motor on the back. :D

My only issue with kayak diving was getting back on the kayak. My wife and I were on a 2 person kayak. We headed out, dropped anchor and did our dive. When we surfaced, we removed our gear and secured it to the kayak. My wife got on the kayak first while I held it in place for her. Then I tried to get on. The whole thing flipped tossing my wife back in the water! LOL Fortunately our gear was tied to it. We learned you have to get on the kayak at the same time from opposite sides.

I doubt Dale's course is in a pool. He comes from CA, so I'm sure he's dry this time of year. There is also a reservoir and a lake about 20 minutes north of Yuma. I stopped by them last month on the way back from San Diego. I'd make Dale come to Pleasant!

If anyone knows where we can rent kayaks in the Phoenix area, I'd be up for a weekend of kayaking around the lake. The closest shop I know that rents them is in Prescott and Flagstaff. Kayaking is big in both those places!

KazInAz:
Theres a couple places in Mesa and Tempe I believe..I didnt bookmark the page.
I'm not learning to kayak in a drysuit.

Okay, so you learn in your swimsuit and when you fall in the water (cuz I will tip you over :D ) you'll be freezing your tush off. And I'll be in my drysuit nice and toasty! :rofl3:

You know, they make drysuits for surface sports like kayaking and windsurfing.

http://kayakdiver.com/

Jim Spears site - Gilligan here in the Photo forum - has all the details on how it's done. Interesting read and I'm not even interested in trying it. Follow the 2nd link on his site.
Also check out his photos, some are outstanding.

At the present time, I can supply kayak for one other person. I'll be changing that soon. I prefer teaching in ocean environment, but lake works. No pool. I was just in Rocky Pt. recently & did a kayak dive there, water was still low 70's. I don't want this to be too commercial, so PM me for details or call me at 928-783-2118 between 10-6.
Yeah Rob, I sold my 2 person model because of that fun you experienced. Two smaller 'yaks are better than one big one.

Back
Top Bottom