Question Keeping Seals Watertight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Neely

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Right. This is going to be interesting. My wife isn't interested in underwater photography the way I am, but she still wants to take snapshots of her time underwater while we're on vacation. In fact, she is so much not into underwater photography that I let her talk me into a SeaLife 3.0 Micro instead of buying a dSLR and housing because "then we don't have to worry about flooding an expensive camera."

So, that's what I'm using, and I'm making it work. A camera is just a tool, after all.

The problem is, using a completely sealed camera means I have no experience with camera o-rings or seals, which is exactly what is on the Fuji XP point-and-shoot she bought herself for our upcoming trip to Bonaire.

I've been having her take the little Fuji with us to the local mine pits this summer so she can practice with it and become familiar with some of the settings, and I'm already noticing a little water ingress in the sealed battery/card door. Not a lot, but some . . . and she's only taken it to 25 feet.

I'm wondering if there is some experience on Scuba oard that might be usable in a lateral thinking sense that can help me figure out a way to keep this seal working longer.

I've added photos for reference. 20220727_135007.jpg20220727_134959.jpg20220727_134945.jpg

Before you close it, make sure there is not even a piece of lint (or hair, salt, sand, etc.) on it. You can use a light and magnifying glass to really check it out. Other than that, follow the manufacturers guidance as to care and feeding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom