Looking for small allrounder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlScOfDe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

i'm looking for a new action cam sized camera (99.9% video; up to 40m) with decent macro/close-up capabilities and i'd like to hear your suggestions.

A little backstory.
The latest "normal" cam i used was the Olympus XZ-2. Then i got myself an original Paralenz and I was pretty happy with the size and the overall capabilities. Close up shots weren't amazingly great, but i got decent results out of it. After sinking that one i upgraded to the Paralenz Vaquita which looked even better on paper. Finally a (even though small) display to frame shots and a "flipable" macro lens attachment where i can switch between wide and macro shots on the fly. Unfortunately it felt like the fixed focus through that lense had a margin of error of 10 nanometers. Almost everything was to blurry to use. The workaround was to start filming at a greater distance and slowly close in so that somewhere in 5-15 seconds of video there's at least a second of the target in focus.

Now i'm looking for a replacement. The insta360 Ace Pro looked amazing (even more than Paralenz) at first, but with a minimum focal distance of 40cm it probably won't be great at close up shots. The Hero 12 and Action 4 seem to have similar shortcomings.
The SeaLife Micro 3.0 looks interesting (doesn't require an extra bulky case and has built in color correction) but i never heard about them (are they any good?). Unfortunately it seems the battery can't be replaced which is a big turnoff for me.
The TG-6 seems to be recommended a lot but it would be back to a bulky housing... .
It's not easy :D

I’m sort of evaluating the Tovatec Mera, I think it will combine all of you disappointments into a package with a nice light built in, at a very low price.
IMG_9291.jpeg
IMG_5389.jpeg
IMG_5380.jpeg
IMG_5366.jpeg

im sort of looking at adding a close up lens to one of the flip up filters. An interesting concept and I expect it would really do well in nice clear tropical waters.

Attachments

• IMG_5363.jpeg
    IMG_5363.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 21
The housing on the TG6 is really not that bulky...... The camera, packaged with housing, tray and strobe....all for under a grand seems like a great compact package.

I’m sort of evaluating the Tovatec Mera, I think it will combine all of you disappointments into a package with a nice light built in, at a very low price.View attachment 825083View attachment 825084View attachment 825085View attachment 825086
im sort of looking at adding a close up lens to one of the flip up filters. An interesting concept and I expect it would really do well in nice clear tropical waters.
"I think it will combine all of you disappointments into a package"
lol, i can see that XD Sounds good on paper tho

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom