Ketogenic diet is anticonvulsive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new diver just simple OW. Don't know diddly squat about technical diving, well ok maybe a little diddly, but just enough to know its a super fine line to balance.
I'm a nurse. Just a regular old RN.

From the medication standpoint using them in the chamber sounds ok, but you would have to load them pretty rapidly to get a therapeutic effect. I'm not sure how effective that could be but certainly a possible viable treatment for patients in a longer chamber ride. You don't want patients having seizures in the chamber.
And the side effect of drowsiness of phenytoin certainly could mask other symptoms but thats why we have studies. I like that.

As to being in ketosis (esp long term), that seems to be dangerous as there are a lot side effects that CAN occur. * I was going to post the list of side effects but it looked kinda alarmist. The ones that drew my eye where cardiac arrythmias, muscle cramps/weakness, impaired cognition and concentration. No bueno. Of course this is most likely related to the degree of ketosis.

Our patients get lab draws to reevaluate, and most stay on the diet for a limited time as the effects seem to diminish with time (my anecdotal experience).

It seems drastic to place a diver in ketosis just in case he gets oxtox. This is not what is being suggested is it? However it looks like caffeine is good as a protection! Yay more caffeine!

If I am way out of line in my thinking I apologize and remind you about my diddly squat comment and I will refrain from commenting further.

Thanks for your post.

I totally agree with you that drugs may not be the answer. Oxygen seizures are detrimental in the water and not in the chamber. Then you look at the incidence of an ox tox seizure vs. risk benefit......my point: drugs are not the answer, especially when in the water. I posted the studies because it was of interest to another diver.

Regarding your comment about ketosis being dangerous, I don't agree. We are not talking about diabetic ketoacidosis, but switching from glucose based metabolism to a ketotic one. Some people have to stay in ketosis to manage their seizures, lifelong. I have been voluntarily in ketosis for over a year now. I do it because I believe this to be a healthier choice....anyway, that is another discussion entirely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom