Key fob solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In BON we always leave truck unlocked, windows down, but I have to say that in several years diving there I have never seen a truck broken into. Perhaps because we only leave flip flops and old tee shirts in the truck. Now, Los Angeles is another story.

I’ve been putting it in my shorts pocket that I wear under my drysuit.

I like the fact that my Pilot has a removable metal key inside the fob that can be used to lock/unlock the door. I can leave the fob in the car and put the key in my pocket.

Has anyone tried using a vacuum food sealer to vacuum seal the key fob? The buttons should still be useable. With the air removed it shouldn’t be a buoyancy issue and they can simply be put in a pocket.
Seal it at home before leaving?
What I did is get a dumb key (no electronics) that i tied on to a stainless clip. I leave my real keys hidden in the vehicle, lock the doors with the dumb key, and clip it on me.
Actually i have two dumb keys. one is clipped for easy access. the other is in a dry bag with me as well

Like many others, I got a dummy key made that doesn’t have any electronics. I also have a dryfob that I use for traveling when renting a car. If you can’t get a dummy key made, the DryFob is the way to go.

I'm pretty sure you will have a failure and spend $$$ replacing your FOB, you are going to go out and by a proper storage. I would suggest to skip the cost of replacing one and just buying a proper container. I have one from DRYFOB. Talk to @Jaan about ordering yours (my recommendation). I have one where I attached a boltsnap and clip it onto the D-ring in my dry suit pocket.

I got a dummy key made that doesn’t have any electronics. I also have a dryfob that I use for traveling when renting a car. If you can’t get a dummy key made, the DryFob is the way to go.

Thank you for the shout-outs :)

Yes, we tried all kinds of things ourselves before coming up with the DRYFOB and haven't looked back since. Quite nice not having to worry about the car or the keys, and just enjoy the dive. We have them on Amazon and at a growing number of diveshops. There are also some limited edition colors available if you order direct on DRYFOB.com.

Thank you for the shout-outs :)

Yes, we tried all kinds of things ourselves before coming up with the DRYFOB and haven't looked back since. Quite nice not having to worry about the car or the keys, and just enjoy the dive. We have them on Amazon and at a growing number of diveshops. There are also some limited edition colors available if you order direct on DRYFOB.com.
When I open my dive center in Greece, I will ask you to put our logos on them. This is years away though.

For those of you leaving the electronic key in the car, hopefully you are wrapping it in foil or otherwise putting it in a sealed metal box or else somebody can unlock the door and drive the car away. By the way, the dryfob also serves as an excellent faraday cage.

For those of you leaving the electronic key in the car, hopefully you are wrapping it in foil or otherwise putting it in a sealed metal box or else somebody can unlock the door and drive the car away. By the way, the dryfob also serves as an excellent faraday cage.
The only thing I wrap with tinfoil is my head in the form of a hat! :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom