Key West 7/17 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After ITK I'm going on a short 4 day cruise with my sweetheart. He's probably going to go golfing in Key West so that leaves me to dive.

Yep, I want to dive the Vandenberg.

Our ship arrives in port at 10am on 7/17 and departs at 6pm.

Can anyone recommend a dive shop? Are there any afternoon charters that anyone knows of that goes out to the Vandenberg?

Thanks.

Can't wait to see everyone again in just a few days!!!

Ann Marie

Ann Marie,

Are you on Majesty of the Seas?? There's good diving in Nassau as well.

Whoever you book the dive with, make sure you'll be back to your ship at 530pm because if the ship departs at 6pm, all-aboard is usually 530.

These three all have good feedback:
Subtropic Dive Center Key West
http://captainscorner.com
Scuba Diving, Snorkeling in Key West, Florida - Lost Reef Adventures

This operator recently took a reservation to the Vandenburg from a group of friends and then tried to up the price by $10 when they showed up:
http://bonsaidiving.com

Last edited:
Hi Ann Marie,

Other than the Vandenberg (which we did 2 weeks ago) the diving in KW is about as good as the golf. :shakehead::rofl3::shakehead:

We used "Lost Reef" - it was fine - it was a $55 boat ride b/c we had out own tanks - no idea what their schedule is; hopefully they can accomodate you.

BE CAREFUL - there are reports of operators charging over $100 for the 7 mile trip to the Vandenberg - :shakehead::no:

I have nothing but good things to say about Lost Reef; however they seem to cater to newbi's, pump air only, and seemed impressed that our group (all SBers) had a clue.

But they were friendly, ran a good trip, and we did 2 tanks on the Vandenberg - if you can't do at least 1 on the VB, relax by the pool, or tour Key West - much better diving in Key Largo and Islamorada, 80 - 100 miles up the road from KW - obviously not doable w/ the time you have in port.. As Brian says, make sure you have a firm commitment on return time.

Have a great time - if you call Lost Reef, I'd reference SB.

Thanks for the advice!

Yep, going on Majesty of the Seas. I just sent my hubby an email (he's at work) to look at the golfing in Nassau instead. Hopefully he'll find something there and I'll dive there instead and we'll spend time together in Key West.

Thanks. I'm checking into the info on Nassau. I don't know if I'll dive there either. I hate to do only 30 minute reef dives. :)

If your going to do a double dip on the vandy try ecodivers. Guided dives and will do a double dip in am or pm. If you are going to dive bahamas try Stuart Cove. Yes it is a cattle boat but, they are a well oiled machine with pick up and drop off ans sticking to cruis schedules. Plus if you have limited time and dont want to do "reef" They have plenty of shallow wrecks and shark dives.

Thanks for the infomation. I looked at Stuart's Cove and noticed that they mentioned a 30 min dive. I've sent them an email to see if I can do a dive or if I have to keep it to 30 minutes. It's one thing when the NDL is 30 minutes, quite another when the depth is 30ft for 30 minutes. I'm not one to complain if I don't get to use my whole tank, but if I'm paying I don't see why I can't be first off, dive 1 hour, and last on, even if I have to pay for a dive guide.

... I've sent them an email to see if I can do a dive or if I have to keep it to 30 minutes. .....

If you mentioned Royal Caribbean (RCC) in your email to Stuarts don't be surprised if they force you to book through the RCC excursion desk. Stuarts has a contract with them and they are not allowed to book direct from certain cruiseship passengers. The mark up is healthy, which is why we chose to not mention our cruise travel plans and just met them in the square along with everyone else. SC was excellent also!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom