Key West Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subtropic was the dive op that, once underway, changed the dive from a wreck dive to a snorkel trip without giving us a refund or credit for a future dive.

THAT would really piss me off. I avoid combined Scuba/snorkel trips...and if one was made into such a trip at the last minute...yeah I would not be a happy camper. I can see why you are choosing to avoid a shop that has done that.

Half the problem is that most of the op's take you to the SAME reefs! EDR, 9ft Stake, Rock Key... In the 5 years I've been diving, I've seen it go from marginal to bad!

Maybe if they went somewhere different occasionally...I'm just wondering how the op's are going to handle the V-burg...is it going to be a PREMIER dive destination, or just a once or twice a week thing for the early trip?

since the KW sites have all been dove over and over by the operators, I'm sure the Vandenberg being the "new thing" is going to be hit every day. People coming there to dive it won't want to hit one if the reefs.

the question is are all the operators going to get together like they did in P'Cola and raise the rates to $150/trip?

The Vandenberg will be a premier destination. Daily trips.
We're currently looking at a replacement boat, working to have it in place in time for the sinking.
Some shops are going to be charging 150/trip- but we're not going to do that. That's just silly.
That sucks what you said about the wreck dive turning into a snorkel trip and so on, but i can promise you that a) the Captain who did that doesn't work here anymore, and b) when i answer the phones and people want condition reports, i don't sugarcoat. I don't want to tell people conditions are great only to have them arrive and find out it's been crap all week. That's just not cool. The only other people besides me who answer the phones on my days off are the same.
If you don't want to give us another try, that's fine, i understand.
For those who are willing, i'll keep ya'll posted on what we're doing for the Vandenberg.

since the KW sites have all been dove over and over by the operators, I'm sure the Vandenberg being the "new thing" is going to be hit every day. People coming there to dive it won't want to hit one if the reefs.

the question is are all the operators going to get together like they did in P'Cola and raise the rates to $150/trip?

I hope you're right. My concern is looking at wrecks like The Busch and Thunderbolt. The few places I've used in that area don't seem to hit those sites more than once a week, if that. Tilden's has a regularly scheduled weekly trip to the T-bolt, Hook's does it by request. as well as Abyss. (not certain on their status with it though) But there doesn't seem to be an every day trip by SOMEONE.

Looe Key Reef does a one day each week to the AB, but the rest seem to do it by request only. (haven't found any daily trips to it) Granted...this part of the Keys doesn't seem to have the diving focus as Key Largo does, but there are still good places to go, but you have to plan better to get on theses dives. And God help ya if you want to dive something off the beaten path! (The Amesbury for example) No one I've encoutered down there wants to go there unless you buy out the trip.

I'm just hoping that after the initial first few years, the V-Burg doesn't become an 'also ran' to the op's since KW doesn't seem to get the diving business that Key Largo does.

But pricing? I can see that getting a little crazy...If it's just beyond where the op's go now, WHY charge more? Especially if you do "double deeps" on it....I guess a lot remains to be seen.

But pricing? I can see that getting a little crazy...If it's just beyond where the op's go now, WHY charge more? Especially if you do "double deeps" on it....I guess a lot remains to be seen.

I think the dive site is only 6 miles from Key West. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

so not farther than any other run.

It should be easier than normal operations also because likely they will do 2 dives at the same site and not have to move the boat and re-anchor (or tie in) at the 2nd site, or burn any additional gas/diesel.

But rest assured that someone will jack up the normal $65 price (no weight or tanks) that they do for a normal approx 4-6 mile trip to $120 or $150 for the Vandenberg. (while they run no further out and it wouldn't require moving between dives... :shakehead:)

EDIT:

It appears that DIVE KEY WEST has already selfishly jacked up their rates. :shakehead:

they've already raised their rates for the dive before the thing is even sunk. :shakehead:

Dive Key West; Key West Scuba Diving Charters, Scuba Dive, Diving, Dive Charters in Key West Florida

Dive Key West - SCUBA DIVER RATE

LOCATIONS | TRIP ONLY | w / TANKS (air) | w / SCUBA PKG. | w / FULL WETSUIT
Reefs| $69.00 | $89.00 | $119.00 | $134.00
Wreck/Night | $79.00 | $99.00 | $129.00 | $144.00
Vandenberg | $99.00 | $119.00 | $149.00| $164.00

Wow...talk about greed!! Ok...let's see...something that's coming down there to help promote their business by increasing the VOLUME of people wanting to come there for DIVING and not the normal crazieness and they THANK people by rasing their prices substantially?!?!

btw..did they figure out if they are doing a medallion like they have for the SG? to help the city recoup the costs?

Yeah, i didn't want to name any dive shops regarding price jumps...but ya'll found it on your own. There ya go. No official word from the boss yet, but we're not going to be that high. The only reason to raise the cost, i feel, is if you require Guides for the V-berg. Even so, 150 bucks (165 just for a wetsuit?!) is waaay too much.
Just out of curiosity- does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for things they'd like to see done re: V-berg dives? I'm always happy to have diver input. :)

Yeah, i didn't want to name any dive shops regarding price jumps...but ya'll found it on your own. There ya go. No official word from the boss yet, but we're not going to be that high. The only reason to raise the cost, i feel, is if you require Guides for the V-berg. Even so, 150 bucks (165 just for a wetsuit?!) is waaay too much.
Just out of curiosity- does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for things they'd like to see done re: V-berg dives? I'm always happy to have diver input. :)

Guides? I hope you're not trying to say that they are required for this wreck?? I think you're trying to say if someone wants an optional guide, then there is a fee associated with that. (which is to be expected).

I think most divers (on a boat) will be of varied levels and different folks will want to dive different parts/depths of the wreck. Folks will just go where they want and to what level they can do...

any dive shop that charges $30 or $50 bucks more just because it's the Vandenberg is just ripping off folks.... :shakehead: Sadly, by my above post it appears it's already started.... :shakehead:

Now I remember the place that limited my dives to 30 minutes on a shallow reef on a perfect day...Reef Raiders. Checked my old logs. Maybe they are better now as it has been some years since we used them for the week.

All that said, while KW isn't better than many other spots in the US for a variety of reasons, it does beat the rock quarry in a dry suit. :wink: It's a compromise destination usually.

Re your question on what I'd like to see:

Don't require guides, especially for experienced divers

Don't raise prices for what basically amounts to +/- the same distance as a reef trip

Offer 2 tank dives at least until its been down a while - you can't see a wreck that big in one dive; will take numerous dives to fully explore (and while on the subject, the other dive sites are not that compelling - speaking for me, I'd welcome 2 tanks vs a mediocre reef as the 2nd dive)

Treat experienced divers as that and don't lump everyones skills to the least experienced on the boat - not eceryone diving the Keys gets out 4 times a year and has 20 dives in total

Don't offer trips to the Vandenberg just on Tuesday Mornings, for example - realize that people are coming down for that wreck

Do these types of things, treat me as a valued customer, who has put lots of time, skill, and money into this sport, and I'd be happyto dive with you.

Back
Top Bottom