Key West Dive Shop Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which dive site would you recommend in Key West? Won't have a car so would like to stick to Key West, even though I know there is supposed to be better diving on some of the other keys. Thanks. Pam

I went into Dive Key West once, found the owner to be less than friendly and a know it all. You'd think he invented the activity. I won't bother going back.

I see that Bob Holston (Dive Key West) hasn't changed much since I left Key West.

Sub Tropic was a pretty good shop when I used them a few years ago. If you dont' have a car though you might want to consider another shop as they are on the back side of the island and you will need to drive to get to their shop or take a cab.

Not sure what their current status is..... their main boat sunk several months ago.

anyone know if they've replaced it yet? (their website didn't show anything new).

Sub Tropic was a pretty good shop when I used them a few years ago. If you dont' have a car though you might want to consider another shop as they are on the back side of the island and you will need to drive to get to their shop or take a cab.

Not sure what their current status is..... their main boat sunk several months ago.

anyone know if they've replaced it yet? (their website didn't show anything new).

Subtropic has been packing alot of divers on thier small boat and from what I hear its not fun, they are just not what they used to be. The only dive shops that I would recommend are Southpoint Divers or Lost Reef Adventures.

I see that Bob Holston (Dive Key West) hasn't changed much since I left Key West.
No he has not. His was the first shop I went into when I arrived and the only thing that keeps him afloat is the location. He has a great spot.

I never see anyone else mention these folks, but my wife & I have always had good experiences with LOST REEF ADVENTURES. Dream has always been clean & well maintained, the crew has been professional and my last time out with them (February '08), they even scrambled to find customers so they could run an afternoon boat when they recognized me as a returning customer. Their shop & dock are also pretty close to Schooner Wharf Bar, Conch Republic Seafood Company, Turtle Kraals, the Half-Shell Raw Bar & Pepe's...in case you want to find a burger & a beer after your trip.

As far as sites go, Haystacks and The Cut were two of my favorites that they've taken me to, but I've had decent dives on Sambo, Nine Foot Stake, Cayman Salvager and Joe's Tug(which I'm told has since been pretty much flattened due to hurricanes), to name a few. I'm not sure Key West is the best diving in the Keys, but we've had good experiences with Lost Reef and we try to always give them the first shot at our business when we find ourselves there.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom