Key West Lion FIsh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlueLakes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ill be in the keys for about a week diving/training. Is there any place that I could try spearing lionfish from shore in the area?

Not likely. They tend to be a bit deeper. When I’m targeting lion fish in the Keys, I find it best to be in at least 80’. You’ll occasionally find some shallower, but they are more plentiful in the deeper depths.

Not likely. They tend to be a bit deeper. When I’m targeting lion fish in the Keys, I find it best to be in at least 80’. You’ll occasionally find some shallower, but they are more plentiful in the deeper depths.

I second this; up in Broward & Dade you can find them much shallower, but as far as the Keys go....60-80 ft minimum

I will add that shore diving in the Keys is *so limited* that many just consider it nonexistent.

Do you need a fishing license for spearing lion fish in FL?
The way I read this, yes. You would need a saltwater recreational (or commercial, if selling) license for lionfish*. No size or bag limits, though.

*If under 16, or a resident over 65, then no license would be needed.

Edit to add: I stand corrected. Not needed under some circumstances as posted below.

A recreational fishing license is not required for recreational fishers targeting lionfish while using a pole spear, a Hawaiian Sling, a handheld net or any spearing device that is specifically designed and marketed exclusively for lionfish.

A recreational fishing license (unless exempt) is required for all other methods of harvesting lionfish including hook and line.

A recreational fishing license is not required for recreational fishers targeting lionfish while using a pole spear, a Hawaiian Sling, a handheld net or any spearing device that is specifically designed and marketed exclusively for lionfish.

A recreational fishing license (unless exempt) is required for all other methods of harvesting lionfish including hook and line.

Good catch. A note on that exemption would have been good for FWC to include in the “Do I need a license?” section. I had originally thought that it wouldn’t be needed, however the non-native part in the section I quoted is what threw me.

If you are hunting lionfish without a license, you might want to bring the lionfish section with you, and make sure whatever you use complies with that section.

Do you need a fishing license for spearing lion fish in FL?
Almost all the local reefs in the Keys & SE FLa are within cell phone range while out diving them. Should you find some tasty 'other' targets to harvest it's a 4 minute process on your phone to obtain an Immediate License while sitting on the dive boat. Put these 2 items on your phone now, just as a backup plan if you need an immediate license when already out on the water.

GoOutdoorsFlorida.com
(888-347-4356)

I've seen divers come up from their 1st tank screaming about how many lobsters or fish that would practically swim right to them. And after a quick phone call to the above, they came up from their 2nd dive with the ingredients for a full plated dinner at just a couple of dollars to be cooked by the chef at a local restaurant. Just ask your DM/Captain who's the best local chef, they'll know. Be sure to post the before & after picts here on ScubaBoard of your dinner!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom