Key West v. Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from Key Largo today. Stayed at the Courtyard and dove with Rainbow Reef. I was with my 12 year old son and we had a great time. The hotel is convenient to every thing. I could have spit into the dive boat from my hotel room. Pool, hot tub, right on the marina, free coffee, free internet, good a/c (although loud), comfortable beds, cold fridge in room, small restaurant where you can buy starbucks if the comp coffee is not to your liking. Big Kennys is great bbq, dont miss cat 3 for a good burger; both near by. Mr. C's ice cream 1 minute down the road was a hit with my kid. The dive museum in islamorada was pretty cool and worth a look. Go feed the Tarpon at Robbies. Rainbow Reef was a good op but a cattle boat none the less. The up side of a big op is a big boat that makes a stable platform. They worked well with kids. There were multiple family groups on each of the four trips we took. There was one girl about 12 or 13 years old doing her cert dives and it appeared that they worked well with her. Her parents were impressed. The sites we dove worked for the snorkelers. Horizon Divers is about 100 feet from the hotel. Last time I dove with them they were able to accomodate all levels of divers that were on the boat, some snorkelers and a couple of student divers on the same trip. I would have gone with Horizon had it been 99 feet closer.

I was in Key West in March and stayed at the Marriott. I would recommend a two bedroom suite. Comes with full kitchen, dining table, living room. Has a full service restaurant. There is no beach. There is a sandy area behind a concrete bulk head that overlooks the gulf. It is nice but frolicking in the surf is not an option. Great pool area with bar. Free shuttle into and back from Duval street every hour.
Last pick up from Duval is 11:00pm. I liked it because i was with my young kids and slithering from bar to bar til the wee hours was not on the agenda. It got us away from that but it was convenient enough that we did the Mallory Square gig each night. We dove with Finz. They are in hurricane hole marina, about a two minute walk from the marriott. They are a six pack op and dive from a 27' world cat. You may be able to fill the boat with your own crew and they will take you where ever would fit your needs best. They are spearo guys but they took me and my kids so i am sure they would be happy to take you. Very laid back but safe. There is a restaurant in the marina next to Finz, it was pretty good.

My kids, 10-18 years, loved Key West.

Neither hotel gets you a beach

The Marriott Resort on Key Largo is very nice: there is also a dive charter on site that goes to a lot of the shallow sites. I've never gone out with the dive shop but the folks that work there seemed nice: both times I tried, weather forced the trips to be cancelled (btw, it takes divers and snorkelers on the same boat on some trips so you might be able to take the whole family on one trip). I'm sure you'll blow through a ton of points to stay at this Marriott, but it is a nice facility.

Other dive ops I have used and like include Conch Republic and Silent World

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom