Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjunheart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Brian and I will be going down to Key West (actual date not decided yet) in the near future. We have been there before and for the life of me, I can't remember the dive op we used. It was o.k. but I wouldn't say wonderful.

Would y'all mind giving me some input on where to dive and with who? I don't mind driving a little north if it means quality dives and no cattle boats. But the other obstacle is that we will be on a limited time schedule during our dive time (grandma will be keeping the baby while we are diving).

Any suggestions or input?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Sandy

I have been out several times with Subtropic. They are on Truman Ave. All dives with them have been good as far as the operator is concerned. I would recommend them; but the diving in KW is so-so. the reef is not in that great of shape, although my recent dive on Joe's Tug (65') and Cayman Salvager (90') were great.

For better diving head North (East?) back to Ramrod or Big Pine Keys for a trip out to Loo Key.

Jim Hiatt

Good wrecks... but Key West reefs will bring tears to your eyes. Do yourselves a favor... drive twenty miles up the road and dive with Captain Jim Wyatt (a board member) out of Cudjoe Key Marina (behind the Sheriff's substation at mile marker 21 oceanside). He can put you on the Adolphus Busch (a great wreck) and Looe Key (an awesome reef). Enjoy!

KeyLargoBrent:
Good wrecks... but Key West reefs will bring tears to your eyes. Do yourselves a favor... drive twenty miles up the road and dive with Captain Jim Wyatt (a board member) out of Cudjoe Key Marina (behind the Sheriff's substation at mile marker 21 oceanside). He can put you on the Adolphus Busch (a great wreck) and Looe Key (an awesome reef). Enjoy!

Our web site

I too think Sub-Tropic divers is an excellent op in Key West. I also suggest looking at Dive Key West and Key West Diving Society.

I would agree with most people so far, but I would also HIGHLY recommend a trip up to Cudjoe Key and go out with Capt. Jim Wyatt. Looe Key and the Busch are absolutely spectacular.

The last time I was in Key West (1996), I went out with the Key West Diving Society. Great bunch of people there. I also went out with Southpoint Divers. Nice people, but the boat was VERY crowded.

Have fun!

Randy

Thanks for the recommendations! I can't wait to try all of them.

Skip Key West. Except for the Cayman Salvager and Joe's Tug, there is nothing there. I probably know the Keys as well as any Floridian and Jim Wyatt is the best.

Marathron is also great diving. Sombereo reef, Thunderbolt wreck and numerous other reef systems exist that are worth the trip. I have dove the Thunderbolt numerous times and the best boat is Capt. Hook's.

Hey, Capt. Wyatt? Did you read my email of a few months ago?

Thanks everyone for the input! I apologize for not replying sooner but the only time I have looked at this computer is when I turned it on to work!

Randy, you reminded me...Southpoint was the dive op we went with last time and I was not impressed at all. I will definitely look up Cpt. Wyatt when we go. Hopefully it will be soon.

Again, thanks everyone for the input!
Sandy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom