Keys in October: is it a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know guys from Silent World. I'been diving with them couple years ago - great experience. Especially when we were the only boat left the harbor right after they lifted the storm warning and everybody else cancelled their dives..... We were the only boat moored at the Spiegel!

So, if there is a hurricane during my 2 weeks there, how many days I'll be grounded? Roughly, of course. I know it's impossible to predict, but on average...

Conch Republic (located in Taverner, at the very south end of Key Largo) is a very good choice - if you prefer smaller boats, a great option is "HMS Minnow" located behind the Holiday Inn in Key Largo.

October can be a great month, as we normally don't get the cold fronts that can really screw up diving - they may happen, but in Oct, don't get to south FL.

Basically if there is a hurricane that makes a hit anywhere close to the Keys, you are truly out of luck; its not a matter of "give it a few days and things are back to normal" - trust me, as a 30 year FL resident, you don't want to be here :shakehead: - so trip insurance is a good idea, even though the chance lessens of hurricanes during October - if we get through Sept safely, I am always relieved, however hurricane season lasts through November.

www.nhc.noaa.gov is a good site to monitor; national hurricane centers official forecast

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom