Knee injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryIndiana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I am recovering from a serious knee injury and looking to get back in the water. Does anyone dive with a knee brace/sleeve? Any recommendations on brand or type? Thank you.

After years of bracing and pain while diving more when walking I had my knee replaced, back in the water in 33 days, another few months went by before I didn’t notice anything at all. going on 6 years, the replacement is so much better than the OEM that I’m tossing around the idea of doing that one too.

at a certain point it’s time to move to the next step.

I think the type of brace you choose might depend on whether you are diving wet or dry.

I agree with lexvil on the knee replacement. It's amazing how successful joint replacements are these days. I just had a full hip replacement 90 days ago. Walked out of the hospital 12 hours after surgery and am now back to diving and walking 18 holes looking for that little white ball..

I've done an ACL, twice.
The doc has zero issues with diving, but has issues with rocky shores and rocking boats.
I'm 4 months post surgery, it is getting stronger and more important more stable. I was told at 4 months I can start using it a bit more aggressive, so this weekend I am taking the motorcycle out for a ride. Yes, that is aggressive, observed trials has no seat and you stand the whole time. I'll try water again probably a week later, if I don't go up to Moab to go riding some more.

The advise I got on the knee brace is to use it as little as possible. Only when there is a chance of tearing it up (motorcycle riding, crashing). I have zero plans to dive with it. The docs want the knee to gain strength, not protect it to the point where it doesn't gain strength.

Don't know what king of serious injury you had, nor the advise the knee doc has about it.

I guess I could see a point in using a brace on an un-repaired knee. Both of my braces only fit bare skin or a light sock. There is zero chance of wearing one on the outside of a suit (wet or dry). The only outside option I can think of is the one size fits all brace. But those are nothing compared to a proper fitted brace. The only inside the suit option that would exist would be a drysuit, not going to fit a wetsuit over a brace. I would be worried about wear points tearing up the inside of the suit.

Hello,

I am recovering from a serious knee injury and looking to get back in the water. Does anyone dive with a knee brace/sleeve? Any recommendations on brand or type? Thank you.
To go under a wetsuit, you’d need something like this. Just depends how much support you need.
1343EAB0-3DBE-4665-B24D-E392ECC25D80.png

Eric wears an open patella knee sleeve I brought from work. No metal and of course compresses at depth but does provide some support with the entries and exits. We do have to replace every few trips as it wears.

Something very similar to this…

CF18A751-73EA-4616-8EAB-651881120AC2.jpeg

Possibly think of getting a DPV. It will change diving for you even if you didn't have bad knees. You don't have to get a big one. The Aquaprop from Subgravity only weights 13#. My knees are OK but I don't like finning.

Possibly think of getting a DPV. It will change diving for you even if you didn't have bad knees. You don't have to get a big one. The Aquaprop from Subgravity only weights 13#. My knees are OK but I don't like finning.
Still don't know what is happening with the knee. But if it was like me, DPV won't help. I was unstable. It would give on lateral loads. Diving would have been fine, it was walking on uneven ground (or a rocking boat) that was the issue. Trying to carry a DPV would have made it worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom