Knifing Halibut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never attempted, however have witnessed first hand flounders being caught with a knive. Simply slowly aproach stab into sand, get hand under the fish and grib the blade * must use gloves as to not cut your hand!!!

Catching flounders, or even monkfish, with a knife is easy. Stab them near the spine just a little behind the head. Knife sideways, or the fish will swim off it, splitting itself in two. I use a regular cheapo non-diving knife, no lanyard, no retention system and never need to grip the blade. Never lost a fish. If the first stab doesn't kill the fish, hold it still in the sand and use a second knife or let your buddy finish it off.

Should work well with the California Halibut as well as it is much smaller than the average monkfish. Catching wolffish with a knife, now that's for people with cojones muy grande...

On a night dive around the back side of Santa Cruz Island off Santa Barbara, one guy stabbed a 12 lb halibut with his knife - just pinned it to the sand. He was likely wearing leather gloves for lobster, so he may have just grabbed it by the jaw to hold it long enough to kill it. In the same area on another trip, a guy used a paralyzer-tipped pole spear to take a 35 lb halibut, roped it through the gills, then stopped on the way back to grab a bug! Bent the prongs sideways, but he pinned that butt!

Some badass divers here knifed a 138 lb monkfish a few days ago. I'd bring a scimitar for that monster...

breiflabb_jpg_674110c.jpg

Holy Sh!t on that monk fish! That thing looks like a pig.

Thanks for the tips on the stabbing and pinning to the ground, next one I come across Ill give it a try.

Anybody have video or pics of taking a Ca. Halibut with a knife?

If you get the movie "Blue, Spearfishing the Californias", They give a good presentation on how to finish a Halibut with a knife. The thing is, it was already speared and had run with the spear in it.

You've gotta approach the hali from the front so it sees you. If you come up from behind, you'll spook it. Swim to it. Grab your knife. Get ready, and stab. Hold the knife in the sand and try to get your GLOVED hand around to the other side to get the gills.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

I always use my light to blind the fish when I go in for the kill. They always lie still when they can't see.

Here's another approach.

Buy a speargun or polespear instead - something designed to land fish.

Knifing large powerful fish will usuallly result in the fish escaping, injured, to swim off and die. This means not only will the fish not end up on your table, it will also not beout there making little fishes for you to eat down the line.

It is far to easy for halibut to slide off a knife.

As underwater hunters we have a responsibility to be stewards to the environment and protect fish stocks. Part of that is not unnecc. injuring fish.

If you are going to hunt, do it right. If you simply want a challenge, try grabbing a flattie by hand - no knives, no guns, etc. that way when it gets away, it will do so unharmed.

my 0.02

OP seems a little too interested in the pictures. Spearing/knifing pics are frequently used people who may not have the best interests of the underwater hunting community at heart. Not saying that is the case here, but just a thought before anyone posts pics of stuck fish.

This is the size I like to hunt with a knife, not only plenty of meat but, you get a great ride of your life. World news | Mail Online

The thing is when they take off once you stick your knife in ,you need to be quick with your long hose octo attached to a smb, and stick the smb in there mouth, then inflate slowly, to be sure not to get bent. Then once you hit the surface:deadhorse:

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom