Ko Lanta - Where to stay and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hil71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of going to Ko Lanta 2nd two weeks of November - bit of beach time and diving - trying to get the lay of the land - don't want to be in the middle of nowhere, would like a few restaurant and bar choices near by, which area would suit us best? Also, do all dive ops pick you up from the beach? Opinions/experiences received gratefully!!

Any place along Long Beach (PraeAe) should give you nice beaches with plenty of beach bars and restaurants to stroll over to. I don't know if they start in november, but in high season when the seas are flat, some shops that run speedboats do pickup at the beach. All shops however, run a truck around in the morning picking up customers if you are willing to get up 30minutes earlier. If you want a walking street, you'll have to stay closer north towards Saladaan. Then its just a gradiant of hotels all the way to the southern tip. As in all things, you'll have to decide for yourself what combination of price, proximity to beach, quiet, access to bars/restaurants/nightlife that you want. In general though, the only things reachable by foot is strolling down the beach. Anything else will require motorized transport of some sort.

Last edited:
I recommend Lanta divers. I dove with them back in February and had a great time. They have a great boat too. If you get the chance dive the sites Hin Deang and Hin Mueng. It's a long boat ride out but its worth it. We saw lots of Mantas out at those two sites. They serve breakfast and lunch on the boat, they also serve you a desert on the way back from Hin Deang and Hin Mueng. I definitely recommend diving with them.

I also recommend Lanta Divers, I did my DM with them and have nothing but good things to say. They are a very well run shop, professional and customer service oriented. However, going to Hin Daeng/Muang with Lanta Diver is a 3.5 hour journey one way as they take big dive boats from Saladaan. It would be a 6am pickup and return to the hotel at 6pm. There are really two departure points form Lanta, Saladaan the main town at the north, and the southern pier, (in high season, Pimilai Resort / Scuba shop will setup a floating pontoon pier from their beach). If it were my vacation, I would hit up one of the speed boats heading to Hin Daeng/Muang from the southern tip of Lanta, cutting the journey time to about an hour. It would be an 8am pickup and you'd be back in your hotel by 3pm. But the speedboat ride can be quite bumpy if the seasons aren't flat. Pimilai divers is the most expensive on the island I think, but they serve brie and wine, an overall first class experience.

Thanks guys!! So that's the dive shop sorted! Do you recommend staying around Long Beach? We're two friends travelling together, in our 30's - don't really want the romantic resort vibe!! Cheers -

Yes I can second that, having dived with Lanta divers myself several times in the past, efficient and proffesional service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom