Komodo Currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In simple terms, the Pacific Ocean is a couple of feet higher than the Indian Ocean.

So huge is the volume of water associated with the Indo Throughflow ( ITF ) that traditional measurements such as cubic meters & gallons are inadequate to describe it in an easily understandable way, so the Norwegian scientist Harald Sverdrup invented the Sverdrup – one million cubic meters of water per second.

It is estimated that the total amount of seawater that passes through the Indonesian Throughflow is 15,000 - 20,000 Rivers.

There are a limited number of channels between the islands of the Lesser Sundas and the main ones that carry the majority of the water flow are the Lombok Strait between Bali & Lombok, the Sape Strait between Sumbawa & Komodo and the Ombai Strait between Alor & Timor.

Current = Action & Marine Life on Steroids!

The ITF means unpredictable currents.

In simple terms, the Pacific Ocean is a couple of feet higher than the Indian Ocean.

Pardon me for being a stickler ...

The total elevation differential between the sea level in the Pacific Basin and the Indian Ocean is 30cm, or about 11.8 inches. Still a lot of water moving ... 20-22 Sv, or about 10,000 rivers.

Aw, shoot .... that's like going to the amusement park and finding out the roller coaster is broken! :shakehead:

HAHA WE did shotgun that was like the rollercoaster - calm at the drop off , gentle drift then building up, building up then past the channel I took a left instead of a right and got sucked up on an up current up a wall! My camera survived but my buddies got ripped off his wrist... fortunately after eagle eye boatman went looking for it after the dive and found it floating a mile from our pickup point!! It was the luck of the Irish for my Irishman buddy...

more info - 1/2 moon is best here in Indo, with the least tidal surge. Ask your DM to organise the dives avoiding currents, he may be able to if he knows you want it, even shotgun has slack water........ and some sites you can either avoid the currents or do a drift (small Island, one side may be more sheltered and thus have more macro-life anyway).

have a great time, maybe see you there, I'll be there end of August (we're easy to recognise, but hard to catch due to 800hp :D)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom