Komodo Diving on MV Blue Dragon - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bugeye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I just returned from a great trip aboard MV Blue Dragon - the price was very reasonable, the boat was clean, the crew were friendly and knowledgable and we had some fantastic dives. All around it was a great trip. I've put together a video and uploaded it to ACD dive Komodo - an underwater journey - YouTube

The only thing I wasn't sure about is that we stayed very much in the Northern area of Komodo and didn't venture down south to Manta Alley etc. The operator told us that all the good action is in the Northern areas at the moment - and we certainly did see mantas and have a lot of great dives. The currents weren't as strong as we were expecting though and water was much warmer - 26-28 degrees on most dives.

I'd be interested to hear from others who've been diving in both the North and South of Komodo over the past few weeks (or this time of year previously) what their thoughts are. How did your dives compare in the Nth versus Sth? Was this good advice or potentially an operator trying to save on their fuel bill?

ok ... I just heard that someone who was at Komodo at the same time as us did 2 dives at Makassar Reef (in the Nth) and saw 15-18 Mantas on each dive! I guess we were diving in the right spot ... just not quite as lucky!

bugeye what boat were you on? I was there in sept and dived kadang makassar and had the whole manta experience. huge numbers of mantas.. at least 15-20 and nice eagle rays too. :)

Back
Top Bottom