Komodo Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

komodotravel

Contributor
Reaction score
What To Expect On A Komodo Liveaboard
Liveaboards in Komodo are a very popular choice for divers visiting Indonesia and rightly so. Dive cruises will take adventurous divers to some very special dive areas in this region. The islands that make up the area of Komodo include a number of the Lesser Sunda Islands, a largely volcanic chain in the South East of Indonesia. The early significance of Komodo came from the infamous inhabitant the Komodo Dragon, which has been the subject of legends throughout the 20th Century. Liveaboard dive tours will often allow guests to take a land tour to see these amazing Jurassic creatures. Rumours of a fire breathing dragon living on these small Indonesian islands brought this area to international attention. A Dutch expedition even came to the area and captured and took specimens of the Komodos back to be examined.

Of course, the Komodo Dragons were soon discovered not to be the fire breathing monsters they were rumoured. Fortunately, though the lizards and the rich variety of flora and fauna were quickly recognised as being under threat and the islands were brought under the protection of the Komodo National Park.

The waters are also protected by the National Park due to the bounty of life on the reefs and the large pelagic fish which can be seen here. The numerous small islands that can be visited and dived give liveaboard divers here the advantage of being able to take in a hugely diverse number of sites on the different islands. These small islands are quite far flung and off the well-dived path making for some unique experiences.

There is something on offer for all kinds of diving passions on a Komodo liveaboard. Many of the sites are muck diving with so much going on macro photographers better bring as much camera memory as they can. The big fish are in attendance too with mantas being the staple pelagics, in some areas you can hope to see even three or four in one dive making a Komodo itinerary the perfect choice for critters big and small.

Komodo Underwater
Underwater Komodo is what diver´s dreams are made of with visibility up to 30 meters/ 98 ft. and marine life of all shapes and sizes. Plankton rich water that comes in from the deep surrounding waters makes the area thick with life. Huge shoals of fish and pelagics are on offer all around the islands. The protection from the National Park also means that the waters and reefs are incredibly healthy and well stocked with fish of all shapes and sizes.

The topography of Komodo and the shallow waters in between the Lesser Sunda Islands make for some serious current. You can experience up to 8 knots while diving and also highly changeable meaning most dives are drift dives. These currents are what bring the big life to Komodo though, with mantas, hammerheads, dolphins and mola mola making the most of the plankton rich waters.

Macro lovers won´t be disappointed either, with pygmy seahorses wrapped around bright coloured gorgonian fans and a rainbow of different nudibranchs on offer. Photographers can hope to get some great shots in Komodo, whether it is dramatic videos of sharks and mantas or close-ups with the elusive ornate ghost pipefish.

Dive Sites Of Komodo
One of the best things about a Komodo liveaboard cruise is the sheer number of sites available on your dive trip so you never feel too overcrowded despite the popularity of the area.

MANTA ALLEY and MANTA POINT in the Komodo National park offer the chance to dive with manta rays that can number in the double digits and really shouldn’t be missed.

RINCA ISLAND - a trip here gives you the chance to see Komodo dragons on the beach but isn’t the only reason to go there either. The visibility can be slightly less but the sheer number of corals, nudibranch and critters makes this the perfect location for macro photographers.

BATU BALONG, or current city, sits at the top of the list of must see places on a Komodo liveaboard. The corals on the reef are healthy, colourful and teeming with fish life and reef sharks.

BIMA Most liveaboard itineraries also include several dives in Bima which is muck diving heaven with nudibranch and blue ringed octopus on the cards.

SANGEANG Something completely unique awaits visitors at this volcanic island, an active volcano which has erupted several times up until a few years ago. In the black sand here there are bubbles coming out of the volcanic sand at bubble reef, from underwater vents beneath.

Viewing this from a U.S.A.-based perspective, I'd like to hit Komodo via live-aboard before I die (if blessed to do so, being a family man it'd likely be the only Indonesian trip I ever made due to cost/time factors). But to me, whether the diving's really good (assumed) isn't the issue. I'd want to know whether you guys also arrange airfare, and how you handle planning. For example, if a diver is coming from the U.S....

1.) How many days do you allow to fly to/from the U.S. to catch the boat? I'm in KY, so let's say southeastern or southern U.S.

2.) Showing up a day late for a live-aboard literally means missing the boat! Do you plan people to arrive a day or two before the boat leaves? If so, which? Where do they stay?

3.) Do you plan around people overnighting at a hotel flying there or back, or is it one grueling long-distance flight after another, aside from airport layovers?

I'm not at a point right now where I can do a Komodo trip, but if that changes, those are the hurdles I'll need dealt with. You don't have to sell me on the diving!

I point this out because if that's my position, I imagine it might be some other peoples' position as well, only maybe some of them could book and go.

Richard.

Are you asking the OP or other divers these questions Richard?

I'm sure almost weekly we see at least one or two threads asking for hotel recommendations to overnight in before boarding a LOB....I think there's also numerous posts on leaving the wriggle room if a flights delayed - Personally I'm always 2 days in the country before LOB departure schedule so I have multiple options to get to the port where the boat is moored at least the night before.

I'm curious as to if you are asking if the OP can arrange everything from picking you up in a cab from your home, making all flight arrangements, hotel arrangements, LOB duration and back home again?

I personally prefer to do it all myself rather than use an agent but each to their own. One of the LOBs I did recently had a majority of European divers who had used a door to door service through an agent and all went to plan. Is it a guarantee that nothing will go other than to exact plan you are after?

I just planned my flights/hotels from Toronto to a Raja Ampat LOB (with an extended stop in Hong Kong) with the help of SB folks. As a first timer, it’s the most complicated travel itinerary I’ve ever planned but it was doable and many people here have done it many times and have lots of advice.

Absolutely anything can cause travel disruption. I was diving on Lembongan before heading to Komodo, and the ferry between Lembongan and Bali was cancelled due to sea conditions. This raised the possibility that I would miss my flight to Komodo and my LOB. Thank goodness I had some no fly dive downtime, which gave me some wiggle room. Planning to arrive a day early gives you options for adjusting travel arrangements should that be required.

I personally always dive air - on the Komodo trip my buddy who had an experience with the Indo down current in Sulawesi also chose to dive air. It was a mix of approx 50% air and nitrox between divers - I noticed a lot more air divers amongst the others than I have seen on other LOBs. Not sure if that was a conscious decision for Komodo or just coincidence. There were a few hook on dives but no noticeable downcurrent on any dives but that as you know can change in a second.

Reactions: CWK
When I was on Lembongan, the shop that I was diving with did not recommend nitrox because of down currents. Is nitrox recommended for Komodo?

Nitrox.

I’ve been there 3x. Average depth ~ 80’ (ranges from 60’ to 100’), ideal for Nitrox for longer bottom times. My diving limit is NDL, not how much air capacity in my AL80 tank. My SAC is 0.4 cfm. If you are an air hog, Nitrox will be a waste of your money. Just use air & may be a big tank like HP100, which some liveaboard would provide it if you ask for it.

I have never experienced down current in Komodo (knock on wood). There are mostly horizontal current like in Batu Bolong (Batu = stone / rock, bolong = hole), Shotgun, etc. The only time I experienced down current in Indonesia is actually in Crystal Vay, Nusa Penida, Bali in search of Mola Mola (see my avatar). So, I won’t worry about down current in Komodo if I were you.

When you fly half around the world like I do, especially going to one of the best diving sites in the world, you want to take advantage of every diving experience there as much as you can. I saw air divers skipping the 4-5 dives / day due to fatigue. Nitrox kept me fresh for some reasons & never skipped a dive (knock on wood).

Batu Bolong, Komodo, Indonesia (picture below)
(reminding me of Darwin rock, Galápagos)
9EECD1DA-FD54-4A75-A6C1-3EE2D182FAE2.jpeg

Shotgun, Komodo, Indonesia (picture, below, courtesy of Adelaar Cruises)
You can see it's a shallow dive. It's like river diving or underwater slide. You should try it. Lots of fun. Just bring your GoPro, not your DSLR camera, which might get bang around the rocks.
image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CWK
Viewing this from a U.S.A.-based perspective, I'd like to hit Komodo via live-aboard before I die (if blessed to do so, being a family man it'd likely be the only Indonesian trip I ever made due to cost/time factors). But to me, whether the diving's really good (assumed) isn't the issue. I'd want to know whether you guys also arrange airfare, and how you handle planning. For example, if a diver is coming from the U.S....

1.) How many days do you allow to fly to/from the U.S. to catch the boat? I'm in KY, so let's say southeastern or southern U.S.

2.) Showing up a day late for a live-aboard literally means missing the boat! Do you plan people to arrive a day or two before the boat leaves? If so, which? Where do they stay?

3.) Do you plan around people overnighting at a hotel flying there or back, or is it one grueling long-distance flight after another, aside from airport layovers?

I'm not at a point right now where I can do a Komodo trip, but if that changes, those are the hurdles I'll need dealt with. You don't have to sell me on the diving!

I point this out because if that's my position, I imagine it might be some other peoples' position as well, only maybe some of them could book and go.

Richard.

Going to Komodo is 2nd easiest diving destination in Indonesia, after Bali. I’ve been in Bali > 10x, Komodo 3x. You just fly to Denpasar, Bali & take a puddle jumper domestic flight like Garuda to Labuan Bajo, Flores. When you are ready to go to Komodo, just give me a holler. I’ll guide you through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom