Komodo LoB in August - why so low occupancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be going to Indonesia/Jakarta this summer (around 20th of July to ~20th of August) and I can get a week or so off for diving, probably towards the end of my stay (I have to be in Jakarta on the 4th of August and obviously I need to be back on time to catch my return flight home).

I have done Raja Ampat (~4 weeks in total over several trips), Ambon, Bunaken, and some dives in Bali, so I was thinking to finally do Komodo this year.

I am looking for medium to low budget (up to 2000$ or so) LoBs that do 8D/7N and the only available such boats (in liveaboard.com) are Kira Kira and Tarata!!
Those look good enough to me but they seem to have zero occupancy (for now and for the last few months I am looking). Why is this? Isn't August supposed to be peak season for Komodo? And more importantly, what happens if I book/pay one of them now and not enough other people book it by then?? Will I be given refund/alternatives on time to try arrange something else or I will be left alone last minute (and possibly without my money until a refund is processed)?

If I choose to do less days (eg 6D/5N) there are some more options, but those seem to have low occupancy too, and I'd rather dive more days.

Are there boats that are not on liveaboard.com and if so how to find them? Google gives me a headache because there are too many options that most don't match my needs (either out of budget, or no matching dates etc).

I've seen scuba junkies (they do 6D/5N with Eliya or even land based/day trips) but as I said I prefer a longer LoB.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I’ve been on the Tarata and would not return or suggest it for others. August is considered high season. Popular and reputable boats are pretty booked even going into Sept and Oct. re: them not sailing, you’d have to see what their policy is directly.

As for the Tarata…The food was not that good and we were all hungry for the week because there was never enough food which was a big dealbreaker. (We had a full charter years ago….2019.)

Thanks for the info. Was it really that bad?

I contacted liveaboard.com asking about canceled trip due to low occupancy and they said their policy is that if the LoB operator cancels a trip, it is the operator's responsibility to rebook the client(s) to a similar or better LoB and if that is not possible, refund.

In the mean time, I've contacted Eliya (from Scuba junkies). I noticed that they advertise 20 dives over 6D/5N (compared to about 12 dives that other operators do) which is perfect for me. Hence I am leaning towards that way. Eliya is a brand new boat and is supposed to do her maiden trip next month (April). So I'm thinking that I will postpone a bit hoping to get some feedback about her and the crew. Scuba junkies is a reputable and experienced operator but Komodo is not a place to dive with inexperienced crew.

For me diving is not the main focus of these trips. I mean it is, but I would be going to Indonesia anyway even if I wasn't diving (to visit my in-laws with family etc). Hence I can wait. Worst case, if nothing good comes up, I'll go land based and/or to a different location. Thanks God Indonesia offers so many options.

You ought to give liveaboard.com a miss.
There are two threads in Indo sub forum on divers being abandoned on Aggressor boat scheduled for Komodo. I believe some of them booked through liveaboard.com. NO refund was even mentioned. They simply washed their hand on the issue: it is the operator sole responsibility.

If time is limited I would look at the land based option by SJ. Done that couple of times. No regret.

Remember the saying "you get what you pay for" and sometimes considerably less.
Thanks for the input. Of course I know this (who doesn't?). But I also know the (limited) budget I have.

As I said above, I am going to Indonesia (Jakarta to be more precise) almost every year - for few weeks at a time to visit family. During that time, I usually take about a week off for myself (diving) but with limited budget. The other option I have is to stay in Jakarta and "enjoy" its' exotic "beauty" for one more week (of course I am kidding).

I've been doing this for some years now and so far, I've been looking to get high value for money. Not the cheapest possible (necessarily), but low-ish budget places that have good reviews - and I haven't been disappointed, so far. Of course I adjust my expectations accordingly. That's what I can afford, that's what I get.

I understand that most people here in Scubaboard (and maybe in diving in general) fall towards the higher end of income spectrum (good for all of you). But I also think that reasonably good diving in lowish budget is possible (especially in SE Asia).

Edit: Not to mention that I have seen with my own eyes dive guides of "expensive" ships unable to find the right entry point to get to the reef and waiting for us (divers from homestays with local guides) to jump first to follow us.

I urge caution booking budget ships. Remember the saying "you get what you pay for" and sometimes considerably less. Refunds..? Good luck.
3 of us were booked with Grand Komodo in 2002 when the Bali bombing occurred killing 200+. Our trip was fully paid. We cancelled our trip and Grand Komodo refunded each of us completely. That was my experience.
Since then I've taken 3 cruises with Grand Komodo in subsequent years and have been happy with the overall experience.

I did a couple of trips with Grand Komodo twenty years ago (so they have been around for a while :)). I was on board Tarata which was a nice budget boat; diving wise it was flawless, rest was simple but ok.

I’d recommend getting in touch with them directly, they were (are ?) a professional operation based on Sanur: About Us - Grand Komodo

I urge caution booking budget ships. Remember the saying "you get what you pay for" and sometimes considerably less. Refunds..? Good luck.
How about Aggressors Fleet?
"you get what you pay for" !!! Really!
You paid for the trip but the boat never pull the anchor.

Back
Top Bottom