Question Macro before Komodo LoB in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefScout

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've spent a week going through old posts but still can't decide my itinerary which starts May 2nd in Jakarta (possibly can change to DPS). Currently I have a LoB planned for 22-27 with Scuba Junkie (Eliya) in Komodo, but I have 2.5 weeks before to get some desired macro in. I've spent a lot of time in the Philippines (Dauin, Apo Island and briefly Anilao to name a few so my expectations are elevated. Would have loved to stay longer in Anilao). My conclusions which I'd love to have insight on:

Bangka/Lembeh: I'd love to do this but I don't see direct flights from Manado to LBJ (all go through Jakarta?). Starting to think I should save this for another Indo trip when I make it to Raja Ampat rather than doubling back through Jakarta to get to LBJ.

Amed/Tulamben/Batu ringgit/Gerombong : Unsure about the current state of macro here for May or if it's worth spending so much time here.

LBJ: Maybe worth just doing day trips from here before the LoB and staying there the whole time? I prefer to avoid crowds but will do this if this is the best option for diving.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

-John

Amed/Tulamben/Batu ringgit/Gerombong : Unsure about the current state of macro here for May or if it's worth spending so much time here.
Great macro anytime there, hire a private guide in Tulamben (preferably than Amed).
Loads of nudis and crustacean, rhinopias have been spotted on a very regular basis these 5 past years, I've already seen 2 mototi octopus in one dive. On a par with Anilao or Lembeh, definitely better than Dauin.

The key is the guide. Some of the best spotters are now either working freelance or for Utama Villa. Liberty Dive resort is another option.

Thanks @Luko ! Unfortunately Utama was mostly full but I'll plan to stay at WonderDive and dive with Utama.

Thanks @Luko ! Unfortunately Utama was mostly full but I'll plan to stay at WonderDive and dive with Utama.
The guides at Wonder, Kadek (owner) and Bedug are no slouches. I've stayed and dived with both and would consider the guiding on par.

Most of the world class UW macro photographers include regular stops at Tulamben...says something about the macro there

Put them both to the test 😉
Most of the local guides in Tulamben are very good (rule of thumb : do not go with a bule nor with a guide not living in Tulamben, this is important for the information sharing part. Diving Tulamben with a guide from Amed is a very different experience.).

However the main differences will be how they manage photographers expectations and how they assist them : in this respect, I will easily put a bet on either Ari, Komang Agus or Wayan Jhon.
(and I voluntarily didn't mention the guide I have been using for ten years, who's getting too difficult to book.)

Most of the local guides in Tulamben are very good (rule of thumb : do not go with a bule nor with a guide not living in Tulamben, this is important for the information sharing part. Diving Tulamben with a guide from Amed is a very different experience.).

However the main differences will be how they manage photographers expectations and how they assist them : in this respect, I will easily put a bet on either Ari, Komang Agus or Wayan Jhon.
(and I voluntarily didn't mention the guide I have been using for ten years, who's getting too difficult to book.)
I agree completely...local Tulamben natives with years diving the area are the best guides. The ones you mention are some of the best, as are Gede Noris (Utama) and Sas Meteor (freelance).(Hope I didn't blow your cover 😄) The question is what level of guiding do you need/want, one who is gonna help you find, compose, and light/snoot the shot or one to just find the small and rare for the average TG shooter, who likes to knock about taking pictures of the weird and unusual.

Back
Top Bottom