Kona Aggressor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John - those are great photos! I especially like the over/under shots. Thanks for posting. I don't think we will make the decision for sure until after the summer is over. We are heading to NC to dive the WWII wrecks and see some sand tiger sharks. :D I have been looking forward to this trip for 3 yrs and we are finally getting there.

As far as which will be best for us right now - Fiji land-based (10-12 dives in a week) or Kona Aggressor (25+ dives in a week) for around the same price.... really gotta think about it.

robin:D

Hey Robin:

A few things to consider. If you do the KA you might consider staying a day or two prior at the Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort, which we did last year before boarding. You could get into the time zone and experience absolutely stunning snorkeling just outside (the Kahaluu Beach is right next door). Never saw so many turtles in my life and tons of fishes. We got a rental car for both ends on the trip. Did some hiking and bird photography with Hawaii Forest & Trail and did the island thing the last day waiting for our late evening flight back. The Aggressor folks are great at arranging transporation to/from car rental.

Have also done the Fiji land base. The boat rides out to the sites can take some time and only once got out to other side of the reef. We will be more likely to do live aboard next time and may get more dives in that way.

Whatever you decide - have a blast and as always take good viddys. I'm still editing mine from last year *sigh*.

Last edited:
aagghhh........ talking with my hubby about the trip options for 2011 last night and he asks me where would be my top destination in Pacific, if money were no object - I of course say go to Palau again, Indonesia, or go to Truk. So he says - Truk Lagoon wreck diving? That sounds so much better than the other two options, let's do that!!
aaaggghhh! :banghead:

robin:D

Do it so that way u can be even more excited. The big island trip will be easier from an airfare standpoint as well!

Robin, As a former crew member of the KAII, I know you would enjoy the diving. I want to go back and dive there, even though I've dove those sites loads of times. As far as the ones saying you're going to get 2-3 more dives a day in Fiji, I ask how is that possible? You're going to have 5 dives a day on the KAII. Doing 7 or 8 in a day would not only be exhausting, but by time you got to 6 your NDL would be so short it wouldn't be worth it. If you have dove Kona land based before and liked it, go to the KAII. KAII does so many more sites that the day boats can't reach because it's too far. The possibility to see pelagics is incredible. Hammerheads, manta's, pilot whales. I've even had whale sharks come up right next to the boat. As for dolphins, you'll see more than you can count. They will ride the wake on the front of the boat (which has a deck over it). They will do flips and spins when you are moored up. Definitely book KAII.

I forgot to mention, that it doesn't matter whether you fly in the day of the charter or stay at a hotel on the island, or which hotel you stay at, someone can pick you up and your luggage. Evin Cotter is the person to speak to and she can get you squared away any way you choose. If you do plan on spending a few days on the island, I highly recommend going to Amazon and purchasing a book called "The Big Island Revealed". It has a blue cover with the BI on the front. These books are written my people who live in Hawaii and know all the in's and out's and off-the-beaten-path places to go. They write books for all the islands. Must have for Hawaii travelers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom