Kona Question ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, The wife and I are diving Kona next June. I usally schlep 30# of soft weights with us. Since the wt. limit is 50# vs our normal 70# per bag , and we'll have need for more clothes than usual since we'll be doing a 7 day cruise after our week of diving.
I was thinking of just buying 30# of soft weights on Kona and leaving it with the boat when we depart. Could anyone direct me to a dive shop near the pier where the Kona aggressor leaves from ? Also if you could quote price for a 3# soft weight, I could compare the difference. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, considered shipping but assumed price would be prohibitive. Thanks

There maybe exceptions, but most charters either provide weights free of charge or will rent them to you for a small fee. I'd check with the Agressor folks before I started spending any money - a simple email should suffice.

I'm not certain that it's the closest dive shop to the pier but Jack's Diving Locker is better than average and they aren't far south. If you Google the name, you should be able to find them on the web.

While I'd consider carrying 10 lbs... 30 would be half your luggage... but it would be a small bag at least :wink:

If it turns out you have to buy/rent weight, you might also consider taking it as an extra bag (I think that's usually a $25 fee) if it winds up being cheaper... just something to consider.

Have a great trip!

Every charter in Kona provides weights, Aggressor included, as part of the deal. You are likely to see hard weights in general (so an inquiry might help), but most integrated BC's are set to carry hard weights. If you have a soft belt you'd want soft weights. If you are shore diving you'd be able to rent hard weights for substantially less than purchasing soft weights. Expect to pay 3-4 bucks a pound retail for your soft weights here.

Have Fun,

You can also put them in your carry on. Another option is to use the US mail. They have a box with unlimited weight anywhere in the US for $7.75. I have shipped 30 and 40 pound boxes between AK and HI this way.

Wildcard:
You can also put them in your carry on. Another option is to use the US mail. They have a box with unlimited weight anywhere in the US for $7.75. I have shipped 30 and 40 pound boxes between AK and HI this way.

Good idea. I never thought in the terms of sending something heavy in one of those boxes. I wonder if there's anything cheap and heavier than lead out there that we could test the mail service with just to be a PITA.

I rember a story about someone mailing a house load of bricks via US Mail.

Wildcard:
I rember a story about someone mailing a house load of bricks via US Mail.
Radar mailed a jeep home in the show M*A*S*H :)

Roak

Ask any Kona USPS worker and they curse the day the 70LB box for under 8 bucks got started. Dive weights are the number one item being shipped.

Aggressor should provide weights... but soft weights?? You can check with renting soft weights at either Jack's or Big Island Divers. But for under $16 bucks you can mail your own weights round trip. The post office is a short 10 minute walk from the Kailua Pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom