Kona Side Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want more info on Dog Beach, Jack's has a nice writeup here: Manta Ray Bay Shore Diving and Snorkeling Sites, Kailua Kona, Hawaii. I've done it a couple times hoping to see a Tiger, but no luck so far. The gear haul can be a little challenging but just take your time. I've been lucky enough to do 50 dives on the Big Island (almost all shore dives) and the only shark I've seen is a hammerhead off Miloli'i. But I wouldn't recommend that for a first time visitor.

Ahh the Dog Beach death march. To the OP, how do you feel about carrying all your gear over a bunch of loose (medium sized) volcanic rocks. Probably only 50 yards, but certainly not a lot of fun
I am looking for two tank morning boat dives vs a shore dive since I am a solo diver.
I do understand marine encounters are hit and miss, just looking for guidance for where to go that gives me better odds. I have about 250 dives in the carribean, mostly Cozumel, so larger animals are not normally seen there. Thanks for the recommendations so far, I will check those out.

I have been looking at a lot of different ops and most seem to have good reviews and pricing is all in the same general ballpark. It seems the highest concentration of ops is near Kona, we are staying in Waikoloa and I have found a couple of ops closer to there just north. Is the diving better to the south or is the difference negligible? Thanks!

I did a lot of solo day and night shore diving at Puako. There were a lot of whales, and I got to listen to whale songs all day.

One day I dropped to the sand outside the reef at 130 feet. Got narc'd real good. Layed on my back and listened to whale songs until it was time to head up and start off gassing.

Thanks Doc. I am not looking to solo dive, one because I havent done it and 2 I dont know the area nor conditions. Going north to Puako would be much more convenient that is for sure, but I still am trying to gauge if the sea life is as robust in that area as people seem to say leaving out of Kona. I am more interested in seeing fish specifically the best chance for sharks on my dives. I do know there are no guarantees, just trying to shoot for the best chance.

In my humble opinion it's often not the operator you go with - but the guide. If you can book with Aquatic Life with the assurance of diving with Marc Hughes.....it's simply a slam dunk amazing experience. I've been diving professionally in the Hawaiian Islands for a bit over 20 years and when I go to the Big Isle I dive with Marc exclusively if I can. He has a wealth of knowledge to humbly share as he has an extensive background in Marine Biology. He has an infectious passion for the ocean and is an elite guide. He leads black water, manta and day dives. I've sent numerous divers (professional and otherwise) and the feedback is "WOW!" every single time.

Thanks Doc. I am not looking to solo dive, one because I havent done it and 2 I dont know the area nor conditions. Going north to Puako would be much more convenient that is for sure, but I still am trying to gauge if the sea life is as robust in that area as people seem to say leaving out of Kona. I am more interested in seeing fish specifically the best chance for sharks on my dives. I do know there are no guarantees, just trying to shoot for the best chance.
I saw a lot of fish and turtles, nothing else.

There are numerous small underwater lava tubes.

I have been looking at a lot of different ops and most seem to have good reviews and pricing is all in the same general ballpark. It seems the highest concentration of ops is near Kona, we are staying in Waikoloa and I have found a couple of ops closer to there just north. Is the diving better to the south or is the difference negligible? Thanks!
In my experience, the diving north and south of Kona itself is a bit better, probably because the volume of divers is significantly less. If you go with Kohala Divers out of Kawaihae (just north of Waikoloa), they will take you to some pretty amazing sites. When we are diving out of Kona, we try to take the "long range" charters that cost a bit more, but go much farther from Kona (normally to the south.)

The last two times we've been out with Kohala Divers we've seen a large manta ray once and a pod of dolphins going by overhead the other time. Both times we've seen the typical black-tip reef sharks you get in the area along with the typical endemic fish and turtles.

Back
Top Bottom