krylon Fusion on Apex RK3 hds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HM_legon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello SB,

I'm new to this site, however I have done my due diligence on the topic of spray painting or just in general painting fins.
I've seen mixed reports regarding the effectiveness of krylon fusion paint specifically on a rubber fin.

The reason I want to paint my RK3's is because
1. I'm a sucker for appearance.
2. I loved The life Aquatic, and I want red fins.
3. I wanted the benefits of a modern jet fin with the style of the old scubapro jet.

I know there are red scubapro jet fins, but like I said, I'm not willing to take that trade off for style. I know some people will swear by them, but they are just too heavy in an out of the water for me.

What I want to know primarily is how well does the krylon fusion paint compare to the "plasti-dip" spray, and do either of them hold up well enough for alot of pool and salt water diving.
I'm hesitant to lean toward the plasti-dip because I don't want the sharp corners and what not to be shallower by the rubber spray.

If this will "ruin my fins" I'd like to know, that being said, I don't care about resale value or anything like that.

thanks,
Legon

You pays your monies and you takes your chances! Buy them, paint them and let us know.

I'll try just the tips, seems like a good enough idea. Thanks for the heads up on the slip streams, when I save my pennies I'll probably pick up a pair!

See red also: Poseidon Trident Fins w/Spring Straps
1715360785281.png

DGX lists Fin Foot Pocket Dimensions @ bottom of page.

See red also: Poseidon Trident Fins w/Spring Straps
View attachment 840574
DGX lists Fin Foot Pocket Dimensions @ bottom of page.
Whomever is actually making those fins is also doing them with HOG logos and different straps, at half the price. They were available from DRIS, but doesn't look like red is in stock right now.
1715361294126.png

I wouldn't try painting an entire fin regardless. Its going to rub off on the boat and ladder and dock, etc. Even if the paint bonds well to the fin material, its eventually going to flake due to flexing. If I was going to try painting a design on fins, I might try a product unofficially called "vinyl dye" which is something used by auto restorers to fix faded vinyl interior auto surfaces, and is designed to flex, comes in spray can too. I still wouldn't try to color the whole fin though, maybe just mask off a cool red design on a part of the fin that sees the least flex.

Whomever is actually making those fins is also doing them with HOG logos and different straps, at half the price. They were available from DRIS, but doesn't look like red is in stock right now.
View attachment 840576

I wouldn't try painting an entire fin regardless. Its going to rub off on the boat and ladder and dock, etc. Even if the paint bonds well to the fin material, its eventually going to flake due to flexing. If I was going to try painting a design on fins, I might try a product unofficially called "vinyl dye" which is something used by auto restorers to fix faded vinyl interior auto surfaces, and is designed to flex, comes in spray can too. I still wouldn't try to color the whole fin though, maybe just mask off a cool red design on a part of the fin that sees the least flex.
Yeah, I realized the futility of my efforts pretty early on. However I am not anything if not stubborn. I taped off a section on the front and painted both sides, made some rookie mistakes on the second time around, so I've got some running but I can take care of that later. At the very least it will look kind of neat for a few dives. Because of my involvement in my universities scuba organization there is a high likely hood any and all flakes will be contained safely in a pool 2 times older than me.
1000015161.jpg

Back
Top Bottom