La Jolla - harassment of wildlife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their names are in the video.

I hope someone manages to copy it before its pulled down so it can be used as evidence, should anyone require that.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2013 at 05:57 PM ----------

Well it is a State Marine Reserve (Matlahuayl) and to my understanding you cannot touch wildlife. Thanks for pointing it out. I've emailed the Ca Dept of Fish and Wildlife San Diego division and let them know about it. :wink:

Thank you!!

God I love having a place were I know others will be as pi***d off about this as I was.

EDIT: I have now been able to copy this video, so have an offline copy should anyone require it for any reason. Please feel free to contact me for a copy of this video, including surrounding data like the channel name it was uploaded to, etc.

Last edited:
Back in 2000 I did a front page article about the soupfins in Lover's Cove here on Catalina. I mentioned that they are pretty docile sharks, often spooked by the sound of our bubbles, but if they are harassed they will defend themselves. Up to that time there had been only one documented case of a soupfin biting a human. Several bozos decided to free dive in the Cove that weekend and apparently grabbed the sharks, tugged on their fins, etc. They all ended up in the local ER room with bites. That multiplied the number of known "attacks" since the 1600s by a factor of four! Those sharks got their revenge. Even back then the Cove was a marine protected area.

Video has been removed. This probably won't stop these guys from harassing animals, but at least it won't give any ideas to other morons.

What names did they use? I'm wondering if they're locals...

Bill

Maybe PM Mantra. He copied the video and the names were in the main titles.

Back
Top Bottom