Labeling Digital Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're welcome. :D

Just because no one has said it plainly, the technical term for what you are trying to do is a "watermark". Knowing that, it should be pretty easy to turn up lots of methods for dealing with it, should the links provided not do exactly what you want.

I keep meaning to run my online albums through jalbum one more time, with the watermarking options activated, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Eh. It's not like I do this for a living...

CompuDude:
Just because no one has said it plainly, the technical term for what you are trying to do is a "watermark".
===================================
Thanks man ...picked up on that from one of the links provided by DiverDennis. Makes sense but I never had heard that term related to logos on digital images before. Guess I need to update my vocabulary.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
============================
Thanks Catherine ...probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to have a print reference for the software anyway. Maybe "Photoshop Elements for Dummies"

'Slogger

Yup, that title's available. I have it in my own library!

Footslogger:
OK ...so I've been taking photos for years and just this past Fall I switched over to digital. I have some nice shots and I would like to add my "personal label" to the ones I send around to inhibit pirating and improper copying.

For those of you who have a personal "logo" or "signature label", how do you add it to your photos??

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

Last night I found a freeware application called Picture Shark that allows you to automatically add a watermark to a batch of files. I downloaded it from Tucows but you can find it directly by searching for it. You might want to add bacth watermark to your search.

The application doesn't actually allow you to create the watermark but simply will add it to files that you select. It seems to work pretty well. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other applications, but it has two things going for it. It is free and it will do a ton of files at once. I was trying to open pictures individually and then adding the watermark, it took forever. Last night I did 40+ pictures in about 45 seconds with this application.

Tim

coachrenz:
Last night I found a freeware application called Picture Shark that allows you to automatically add a watermark to a batch of files. I downloaded it from Tucows but you can find it directly by searching for it. You might want to add bacth watermark to your search.

The application doesn't actually allow you to create the watermark but simply will add it to files that you select. It seems to work pretty well. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other applications, but it has two things going for it. It is free and it will do a ton of files at once. I was trying to open pictures individually and then adding the watermark, it took forever. Last night I did 40+ pictures in about 45 seconds with this application.

Tim

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try!

Here is a neat way to add copyrights to images. I am sorry that I do not have the time to create screen shots of my steps. Maybe later if the following does not work for you. I set this up in Elements 4 but I think it will work in Elements 3.

1. Go to the Standard Edit mode. Make sure your layers palette on the right hand side of the screen is open.

2. Choose File>New to create a new blank canvas. Set the resolution to the size you normally will be working in. For example if you are copyrighting images for the web at 72ppi then set the image resolution to 72ppi. If you are going to apply the copyright to a high res photo for printing, then set the image resolution to the same resolution as your pic (say 250ppi or 300ppi). Keep the canvas color default at white. Click ok to create the new canvas.

3. Click on the Text Tool. It looks like a “T” in the tool bar on the left hand side of the screen. You can also select it by pressing the letter “T” on your keyboard. In the options bar at the top select the font you want to use, size, and a color (anything but white...you will not be using this color later so select black if you want).

4. Place the cursor anywhere in the canvas and click. You will see a flashing vertical bar and you will have a new layer in the layers palette with a white thumbnail and a “T” in the middle. Now type your copyright info. I used ScubaBOBuba©2006. In windows you make the © symbol by holding down the Alt key and typing 0169 on the numeric keypad (not the numbers at the top of the keyboard, they will not work .... make sure the keypad is on). When you have what you want then click on the checkmark in the options bar at top to accept the type.

5. If you don’t like the size or shape then make sure the type layer is active and choose Image>Transform>Free Transform. You can then click and drag on the box points to size and shape the text to your liking. Click on the checkmark in the options bar at top to accept the transformation.

6. Now, locate the type layer in the layers palette on the right. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the “T” thumbnail. You should now see “marching ants” around your text.

7. Next, choose Edit>Define Brush From Selection. In the dialogue box that comes up give a name to your brush. Don’t worry if the thumbnail in this box looks squished ... its ok, really. Click ok once you have named the brush.

8. Now you can close the current canvas. You do not need to save it but you may if you think you will go back to work on your copyright brush some more.

9. Open the picture you want to copyright in the standard edit mode.

10. Select the Brush Tool from the toolbar on the left side of the screen or press the letter “B” on your keyboard.

11. Select your brush color. You can do this by clicking on the Color: box in the options bar at the top or on the foreground patch at the bottom of the toolbar on the left side of the screen and choose a color from the color picker when it comes up. Click ok to accept the color selection.

12. Position the cursor where you want your copyright info to appear. You should be able to see the outline of the text. You can fiddle with the brush size in the options bar at top but be careful because if it is too small you will not see it. On a 300ppi image my brush size was 1,400 px.

13. Click where you want your copyright and your brush will paint the info in the color you have chosen. I usually go to the hand tool to look at the work because the hand tool cannot alter your image.

14. I strongly suggest creating a new layer above your picture and using it to apply the copyright brush. That way you have not painted on your image and can move the copyright info or transform it if you need to. You can then merge it down when you are satisfied. If you are in a hurry and don’t like the result of working directly on your image then you can always go back in undo history. Make sure your work is on a copy of your picture or save as a copy so you don’t accidentally overwrite your original image.

I know it is easier to see this stuff with visuals. Try it out. If you run into a snag then let me know and I will post a screen shot when I have time. You can also PM me your email address and the copyright info you want in the brush. I can try to make a preset and mail it back to you.

Let me know if this helps.

—Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom