Ladysmith fatality - Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
One person is dead after a scuba-diving incident near Ladysmith early Friday afternoon. B.C. Emergency Health Services confirmed a paramedic unit and air ambulance helicopter were dispatched to the government dock in Ladysmith just after 1 p.m.

One person is dead after a scuba-diving incident near Ladysmith early Friday afternoon.

B.C. Emergency Health Services confirmed a paramedic unit and air ambulance helicopter were dispatched to the government dock in Ladysmith just after 1 p.m. Friday in response to an incident in the water and a diver in distress.

No patients were transported to hospital.

Ladysmith Fire Chief Chris Geiger said a crew was sent to assist B.C. Ambulance Services with a vessel coming into dock.

“We were called for a scuba diving emergency and the vessel was on the way back in — it sounds like there may have been a medical emergency while on the water,” he said. “It’s not the outcome we were hoping for.”

Geiger believes the vessel involved was visiting the area.

... this one is close to home ... I have only been diving 16 months and have met a lot in the local dive community ... anxiously awaiting further details in the local news

anxiously awaiting further details in the local news
I don't know if they will update the story or not. I saw the same story on a dozen sites, so maybe one will soon. If you see anything, let us know here, ok?

Not much on it from my loop…..it would make sense that he wasn’t from our community as I would’ve heard more. Sad regardless….

Not much info about this incident as the Coroner's Service has not released any updates. The info I was able to obtain is that the deceased is a 50 year old male from the Seattle area.
That is correct
I read a CBC article this am that said the diver was dead before the boat got back to the dock. :-(
The boat was ~45mins out from EMS (which is actually fairly close for around here)
Is it known if they were on a Rec or Tech dive, yet?
I don't think the deceased had tech training and would be surprised if this was a tech trip.

From the deceased LinkedIn page:
(Not the full list)
GUE Fundamentals - Recreational 2021
NAUI Drysuit 2020
PADI Rescue 2014
PADI Open Water 2013

From the deceased LinkedIn page:
(Not the full list)
GUE Fundamentals - Recreational 2021
NAUI Drysuit 2020
PADI Rescue 2014
PADI Open Water 2013
... by certs alone, this person would be an experienced, totally qualified, skilled, diver. My heart goes out to his family, and friends who knew this person. May this diver, RIP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom