Lake clean up events

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have seen the mention of several lake clean up events this weekend.

I was thinking of trying to get all the info in one spot.

So..... WHo is sponsoring an event, and where?

Who plans on joining in the clean up and where?

Me? My wife and I are looking for an excuse to dive, trying to pick the best one for us!

Jeff

N Depth Scuba is sponsoring a cleanup of Saguaro Lake this Saturday at 8:00am
That is where I have agreed to dive. Saguaro lake seem to take a lot of abuse and it is closer to me the Lake Pleasant.

I'm going to Saguaro this Saturday too. I know of two other divers that are going but aren't SBrs. I heard that another east valley dive shop is also taking a group. I think it's The Scuba Shop (that new place on Greenfield). I also was wondering if I need to get a Tonto pass or will one of these groups supply them or will the Forest Service wave the fee since we are providing a public service?

Last time the forest service gave out passes. N Depth is taking their bus to the lake if you meet them at the shop. Free air also for those that rent bottles. Divers that need gear can rent from N-Depth for I believe $10.

I'm told we will be at the picnic area and fishing piers, by the marina and resturant. For those that were there last December Joe from N-Depth told me they made arrangements for an easier entry than last time.

That's good to hear. You had to be half billygoat to get to the water last year. We had to float our gear out and don it on the surface. Was kind of cool actually.

I thought the docks just down from the restaurant were all no swimming areas.
I can imagine the whole area from boat ramp 1 to Butcher Jones is probably a mess, but I would really worry about diving between ramp 1 and 2.

Jeff

I can provide a sort-of accurate report on Saguaro Lake. I was on Saguaro lake boating three weeks ago and I was just on Canyon lake last Saturday and for the first time this summer, I could actually see the prop below the water on my boat. Both Canyon and Saguaro lakes this entire summer have had such poor visibility that from on my boat, looking down into the water I couldn't even see the propeller which is only about 2 feet under the water at most.
Finally though this past weekend at Canyon I could see the prop just barely. I would imagine Saguaro is at best that good but probably worse though. The "muckiness" of the water at Saguaro has always been worse than Canyon for as long as I have been boating there.

Personally I won't dive Saguaro unless that place gets cleaned up a lot, and also until the visibility is better than just inches. Good luck to you guys. Saguaro really needs a lot of cleaning up. My hat's off to you for attempting the cleanup.

Saguaro vis is so bad because the are always pumping water in and out of it and there is lots of stuff that never gets a chance to settle. Cleaning up the garbage in the lake probably couldnt make the water clear. It will however make it a better place to visit with less garbage.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom