Lake Jocasse today:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
The water level was up to "normal", i.e., up to the top of the ramps and 24 ' @ the end of the ramps. The visability was maybe ten to fifteen feet and the water temp. was 47 degrees surface to 60'. I just watched myself swim backwards and forwards in front of a mirror for 30 minutes until I was frozen and GTFO into a balmy 48 degrees with sunshine. Yay sunshine. Tomorrow's supposed to be 54 degrees with sunshine.

evad,

Thanks for the update. I am planning on diving with OTW this weekend on the wall.

evad,

Thanks for the update. I am planning on diving with OTW this weekend on the wall.

Nice. It's supposed to be 65 degrees. I have to go back to NY tomorrow where I can't even find a pool. I'm envious.

Nice. It's supposed to be 65 degrees. I have to go back to NY tomorrow where I can't even find a pool. I'm envious.

The warmer air temps on 2/21 were nice but the water was still freaking cold. Well,(deep subject, I know!) there is always the bathtub since you can't find a pool.:wink: It's always warm there too, unless you stay a max depth to long. :DHere is the trip report.

We did two dives on Sunday.
The first dive was on the junk and around the top of the wall toward the sw.(if I remember that correctly:D)

Depth- 66'
Time- 35 mins
air temp- 40o
water temp- 48o
surface interval of 54 mins
Viz was 20+' (I could see over half the junk which is 40' long)

This was the first time I have ever gotten cold in my 7mil wetsuit,hood, and 5 mil gloves. Still not a bad dive!

Second Dive was on "Cracken's beach" over by the dam!

Depth- 84'
Time- 30 mins
air temp- 59o
water temp- 48o
Viz 20-30' easily

We were attempting to find the vertical fissure in the wall at around 75 feet. Bill's surface marker was no longer on the surface since the lake was at full pool. So we hopped in looking for a large white rope leading down over the wall to 75' at the fissure. We found a rope broken and tied to a log at 45' but there was no crack in the wall down to 84' around that area. There was a slight current as they were probably pumping water to generate power.:idk: We did find the beach that slides off the 45' wall, a dive platform, and really good viz along the wall. Again, another nice dive.

The bottom once you went off the 45' shelf was 210' down according to Bills depth finder. :confused: Anyone see the bottom? :rofl3:

Again, I was cold! I might have to put the brakes on diving until the water hits 50o again. :shocked2: Unless the wife approves of a trip or a drysuit. :popcorn:

Crackens Beach? Which side of the dam is that on? How big is the fissure supposed to be?

It's between the wall and the pumping station and the fissure is big enough for a person to get into. They don't know how deep it is. Supposedly it's a fault that runs under the dam and has a current when the pumping station is running. The engineers tried pumping concrete into it but gave up. The surrounding area is kind of like diving in a Heny Moore sculpture garden.......... well I like to think.

Crackens Beach? Which side of the dam is that on? How big is the fissure supposed to be?

Crackens Beach is a beach area(sandy spot) at about 45' on a ledge that slides off the wall down to 210 feet. The closer to the pumping station you get, the stiffer the current. You can see how the current is being pulled across the beach area too. It creates the rippling effect on the sand.

Somehow I missed the rope leading down to the fissure on the wall. Maybe next time when the water is a little warmer I will do better and find it. It was slightly chilly that day.:wink:

Evad,

Have you made it back from NY yet?

I did not know they tried to fill the crack with concrete! Hum, I wonder how much they actually tried to pump into the crack? Going,going,going,and oops out of concrete?:D

Evad,

Have you made it back from NY yet?

I did not know they tried to fill the crack with concrete! Hum, I wonder how much they actually tried to pump into the crack? Going,going,going,and oops out of concrete?:D

I'm waiting for another "last minute weekend flight RT $138." I try to get down two or three long weekends (S-T) a month so I can hopefully keep my Dad out from under the dash and chassis of the car we're (he's) building, off of the roof, and out of the trees. He's found a tree surgeon he likes and would just as soon have me deal with roof, but there's no way to keep him out of the car. Anyway, ask Bill about the concrete; maybe it was just Brandon and Trip spreading yarns. They also said Bill's been in the fissure. Maybe I'll see you at the "beach."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom