Lake Jocassee SC Diver Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious... why a dive to 300 feet? What was at that depth to see or investigate or was it just to reach that depth for fun/experience? Not sure I understand why a need to dive to that depth unless it was for a commercial dive job, etc. Can you explain?

I'm one of the divers who regularly dives the Attakulla Lodge ( google it ) when we get a group together. Lake Jocassee has an interesting history and there is lots to be seen, and some of it is beyond the recreational limits. Conservative at those depths is padding your deco schedule ( if you have the gas, it is the safe thing to do ). Those of us who choose to dive to those depths understand the risks we are taking as any training manual repeatedly reminds you that these risks include permanent injury or death, and sometimes, despite doing everything right, things can happen. The Lodge dives are very well planned and preparations are in place for diver evacuation should the need arise as in this case. The involved diver did some chamber time and is now doing well, I'm thinking that the only regret for him at this time is that he won't be diving deep for at least 6 months. And yes, we do practice often to keep our skills sharp and equipment up to speed ( this is not a spur of the moment dive by a bunch of inexperienced diver looking to see how deep they can go ). BTW, Lake Jocassee has many great dive sites, hiking trails, water falls, etc. It is a great destination for the outdoorsy type with 5 star bed and breakfast accommodations within a mile and regular lodging within 15 minutes. Off the Wall Dive Charters is a top notch operation ( been diving over 30 years and have seen a lot of charter operations ) which I highly recommend, so plan a trip and come see what Jocassee has to offer, you will have an awesome experience.

Off the Wall Dive Charters is a top notch operation ( been diving over 30 years and have seen a lot of charter operations ) which I highly recommend

It's alternately called "Lake Jocassee Dive Shop."

Thanks Mike... I've heard/read/viewed video of Attakulla Lodge... if that is what they were doing, I totally understand... or if they were practicing tech diving with an instructor, I too understand... but a dive to 300+ feet is NOT any type of casual recreational dive.... back in the "old days" there were always the few who just had to get to 100+ feet for the heck of it.... and did not have the proper dive master and safety divers and surface support teams available... hopefully this was better orchestrated and all the above (plus a whole lot more) were available and top notch.... seen way too many divers medivac'ed to a chamber for no good reason... just stupidity....

Strong work by all concerned on this case. Y'all know who you are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom