Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're joking, right?

Have dove there? I am not too sure you know what we have been doing. We have started placing line where it will take you on a circuit from shallow to deep and back to shallow with arrows showing the quickest exit. Much like a cave system. So what exactly is your point? OBTW, I was not offended by your posting just trying to figure it out.

Have dove there? I am not too sure you know what we have been doing. We have started placing line where it will take you on a circuit from shallow to deep and back to shallow with arrows showing the quickest exit. Much like a cave system. So what exactly is your point? OBTW, I was not offended by your posting just trying to figure it out.

What you're doing sounds interesting. I was referring all the lines-to nowhere-and-everywhere, especially the ones in mid water on a low visibility day. No offense intended.

Lines are OK for shallow stuff. However, learning proper use of a compass is even a better plan . Diving at those depths with potential entanglement hazzards are better suited for advanced divers. I believe that having lines encourages those with limited experience (i.e. just a dive or two beyond OW certification) and perhaps inadequate equipment to make dives that may be beyond what they are prepared for. Just my opinion. Personally, I find it much more fun to make the dives using a compass and exploring.... (it develops skills and builds confidence). No offense intented, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Did a ramp dive today. platforms are still there and the lines intact post ramp remodel. Bones family looks horrible all broken up and covered in deep silt. but had excellent vis 30 ft plus at times. second platform is 24 feet so was bones family. water temp was 52 degrees at 70 feet and 54 degrees on surface.

No offense taken at all. And I can see some of the concern, but I look at the lines as no more of a hazzard than the lines in the caves that we dive. If you get yourself into an Ol s^$% situation, and you really can there, the lines will give you some reference as well as the fasest way out of the forrest. I totally agree about the lines going to nowhere. The lines we are placing, and I am refering to really a single line without "jumps" to other areas, are in the forrest (where you can see the ducks on the trees and no we did not put them there) way off the OW path. We were diving with Bill from "Off the Wall" and some of the other divers aboard heard us talking and they were wondering who was placing the lines and stated how they really enjoyed our work. Really made me feel good that others have taken an interest and actually enjoyed it. OTOH, I would worry more about the vast amount of divers around the Chinese junk. Only several fin kicks from going over the wall to a depth well past 170' fw.

Where does the line start, is it near the bottom, and what is its deepest depth? Thanks.

PS; I love falling of the wall, but I always stop @ 100'.

That line goes down to 175' on a full lake, I've been past there to 220' and still cannot see the bottom. LJDS has topographical maps of the lake, very deep indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom