Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am headed to Lake Jocassee the first weekend in June for a few dives. I think most of our dives will be less than 60 feet deep, but we will have one that is in the 80-100 foot range. What thickness wetsuit do y'all recommend that time of year?

5mm, if you're cold natured layer a shorty or vest over or under.

I am headed to Lake Jocassee the first weekend in June for a few dives. I think most of our dives will be less than 60 feet deep, but we will have one that is in the 80-100 foot range. What thickness wetsuit do y'all recommend that time of year?
Also wear gloves and a hood; you dont want to get below that lower thermal without them....it stings.

Any info on temps closer to 130 - 140? I've never been there but also going in early June. Thanks.

When I hit the thermocline at around 50 ft. this past weekend, I realized I was not in the Caribbean. Computer registered around 62. Still, that's pretty good for Jocassee in May. Saw some guy snorkeling in a shorty.

Does anyone know of a map that shows what lines go where from the dive ramp? We made a left turn at the end of the dive ramp and intersected with an orange line at around 50 ft depth. Is it a permanent line? Where does it go?

Does anyone know of a map that shows what lines go where from the dive ramp? We made a left turn at the end of the dive ramp and intersected with an orange line at around 50 ft depth. Is it a permanent line? Where does it go?

What was the temperature above the thermocline?

Did you go to the first platform off the left ramp or did you just make a left right off the end of the ramp? I am aware that a local boyscout created a map as part of an Eagle project but I have not found it online.

If the line you found run roughly NW/SE at roughly the same depth then running NW it will run into a sunken boat and the "bones" family. I have not gotten to the end of the line. Heading SE it will run into a "graveyard" and then after a gap for the graveyard it will continue and connect with the first platform. This first platform is at about 30 ft (bottom at 35 ft).

Off the first platform, heading east and deeper, will be the second platform with at about 35 ft (bottom at 40 ft). Heading over the second platform will be a trampoline frame and at east-south-east is a line that goes to a row boat at about 60 ft. Off the row boat and continuing roughly east is a line that goes deep and will get to a forest and an airplane wing at about 130 ft.

You can also go off the end of the right ramp and circle back around toward the southerly cove. At around 20-25 ft you'll run into either a platform or a line and following around the line will be another sunken boat (bigger than a row boat) and a 4ft cube water tank with aluminum frame.

Hope that helps!

All depths are roughly full-pond depths.

Carl, on that dive we were at neither of the platforms--those are more or less straight out from the ramps, and we know the platforms, graveyard and trampoline frame pretty well (though we'll have to look for that boat). Rather, we swam down the ramp and turned left 90 degrees at the end (sorry, I don't bring a compass when I'm just following lines--I probably should) and followed a steep slope down and ran into an orange line at 50 feet and decided to turn around. (We were practicing reelwork, and I didn't feel like crossing the orange one and/or heading much deeper.) Just curious where it led to. I have heard the forest is somewhere in that general direction (left of the ramps), but 130 ft. is deeper than we care to go.

I never did get a consistent reading of surface temperature, probably because we were doing ascent and descent drills (we're drysuit novices) and the computer would warm in the sun when we surfaced, etc.

Looking for input on diving the graveyard. Doable as a shore dive or need a boat? Typical temps? Viz looks decent from videos but not sure how big of an area it covers; some videos suggest people run a line while others don't; thoughts on navigation appreciated. Anything else nearby to checkout? Thanks.

definitely following this. @victorzamora and I have to make a bunch of dives this summer for trialing some new gear and are looking for ways to avoid getting bored... Thankfully will have scooters which helps, but always good to know what else do look for

definitely following this. @victorzamora and I have to make a bunch of dives this summer for trialing some new gear and are looking for ways to avoid getting bored... Thankfully will have scooters which helps, but always good to know what else do look for

Man, I know you live in that general area, was hoping you'd be a fountain of information!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom