Lake Lanier: Diving Compendium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in Richmond now, but it looks like a may be back very soon (a month or so). My wife and house are still in Norcross, and if I find a job there, I will be back in a heartbeat, regardless of my awesome company up here. My wife isn't having luck finding a job here (not much adv in Richmond, os if none of the 12 jobs are open, no luck.) so I am headed back. I have moderate experience, Intro to cave but mostly in higher flow caves. I think I could develop skills to help with the deeper dives with time, but I would definitely have to start with the easier dives to reacclimate to diving frequently. (2 dive days in the last 4 years!)

I'e seen some wild stuff in that lake. Found an old wooden coffin sticking 1/2 way out of a bank last year. Also found a telephone pole extending up to within 25 ft of the surface. I've seen road beds as well as foundations of homes. Count me in! I dive the Coper river regularly so low vis means nothing to me.

dave.smith@andersencorp.com I'm 20 minutes away. e-mail me since I don't get on Scuba board much anymore. My passion is spearfishing so I tend to be on spear board all the time, but this sounds like something I would love to do.
let me know. I look forward to hearing from you!!!!

Dave

just got me a drysuit when we gonna dive lake lanier. I used to spend my summer on the lake and always wanted to dive it.

dave

My dive buddy and I are in the process.
Trying to determine the logistics with other divers involved,
Air/Gas, lunch, meeting points, individual gear considerations, etc.
It aint' that easy !!!
Plus the fact that he found termites in his boat and we're working through that right now.

Prior to joining this forum, my boat captain and I made plans to survey potential architectural and salvage sites. We start this week. I'll be happy to share data as we collect it.

Might be interested, my nephew and I dive lake Jocassee almost every weekend. I've got a 2003 24' pontoon boat...how far away is Lanier? let me know.
Bob

I'm interested in helping with the dives - planning, lugging equipment, documenting, etc... I'm a new diver and I'm not sure I'm ready to dive Lanier (yet). However, I'm a local from Cumming, GA and I have a boat docked at Lanier Harbor that I'd be happy to use.

Stacy

Have you gotten the Lake Lanier compendium project started? If so I would be interested. Let's talk.

I live in Suwanee and am AOW & Nitrox certifed and have been diving for several years.

The Kracken:
A friend of mine and I have been working on a diving compendium of Lake Lanier for the last year or so.

I'd like to know if there are any divers in the Atlanta area that would like to help us work on this project.

This is strictly a volunteer project.

Our goal is to dive on and document those structures that were inundated by the creation of Lake Lanier.

This is not a project for the faint of heart. This project involves a great deal of diving with very limited visibility and cold water.

By the time we reach the end of the project we will also be doing some dives that approach the absolute maximum depth recommended for recreational dives.

The ultimate goal of our project is to develop and publish a compendium of those submerged sites in Lake Lanier that will allow divers in the immediate Atlanta area, and throughout the south, to experience some challenging and interesting diving within a minimal driving time area. The compendium will also provide more accurate, up-to-date GPS and Lat/Lon co-ordinates along with reference azimuths and distances to adjacent structures.

If you feel that you would be interested in working on this project please contact me through this board.

Thanx . . .
Dennis McLeroy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom