Lake Norman quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinclair9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did a brief search and did not find too many recent posts, so I will ask again. Does anyone here dive the lake Norman quarry? I am debating joining, but don't have a dive buddy. Was curious to know if it is easy to find a buddy, or if people are frequently there on the weekends. Thanks in advance.

The quarry is a good place to train and I will leave it at that. I am a member and go a couple of time a year when someone else needs a buddy... There is not much to choose from but the NC coast is very good when the weather cooperates... The viz at the quarry is generally @ 10-15' and on some days can get up to 30'. Its a deep quarry with the first thermocline hitting @ 25-30'. 3mm in the summer is good down to the thermocline but you better dress warmer if you want to go deeper.

Where are you in Charlotte? lee

I am in Kannapolis, trying to decide if I should join that quarry or go the the up to the Bluestone quarry in Thomasville. I wasn't crazy about the Bluestone quarry last time I was there. I am really just looking to try out some different camera setups and log some dives, not really looking for a great deal to see. My main concern with joining is if I will be able to find a buddy to dive with in the quarry regularly. I love going to the coast, already have 2 trips planned out there this summer and fall. I would like to try and get around 30 this summer, not sure if that is realistic or not. Where are you in Charlotte?

Hunter

Hunter, I am over here in Hickory... Between the two, I prefer the Lake Norman Quarry since you have 24/7 access. Dive anytime and is a good place to train. They now have it setup so you are not required to join a dive club to be able to join the quarry. You can now go to the PDRA web site and join individually. You will receive a ID card and Key that is good for the calendar year... Here is the web site if your interested... PDRA which consist of 3 quarries...! American Quarry, located in Salisbury, NC would be pretty close to you as well and you would have access to both...

Hope this has been of some help... By the way, we have a dive club and have monthly events if your interested. Two trips to the coast but it might be a bit far for you... Blue Ridge Dive Club lee

I dive the Lake Norman Quarry almost every weekend except during NFL season when I am glued to the TV. Right now the visibility is exceptional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What are the temps like right now? I am assuming you are in a dry suit, when can you switch to a wet suit?

What are the temps like right now? I am assuming you are in a dry suit, when can you switch to a wet suit?

How thick is your wet suit??? You can do it now in a 7mm... :) June, give or take can be done in a 3mm... but saying that, even in the summer it can be a bit difficult to get below the thermocline in a 3mm... Its chilly...! No different than any other quarry!

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 08:46 AM ----------

I dive the Lake Norman Quarry almost every weekend except during NFL season when I am glued to the TV. Right now the visibility is exceptional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Could you define "exceptional"? and at what depth? thanks, lee

I have a 5/4 suit and a hooded vest. Probably a little borderline still, thinking I will probably wait till early may when hopefully he air temps are up. Thanks for the input.

From another member since 2003. Points: 24/7 access to all three quarries, very clean, over 90 feet deep, very nice divers, great training, vis is great right now, lots to see underwater, price for a year membership is less than two Blue Stone trips, very trustworthy divers. Bad points: parking is getting harder and harder, sometimes too many classes, water temp...it is cold...just face the fact that it is cold, can't fish any more, NO SOLO DIVING allowed and that is about it. If you are needing a buddy, you might would like to check out NC divers site, join the quarry on FB.
We did a trimix class diver yesterday...93 feet for 71 minutes. Vis was great and you could see the entire crane from a distance of maybe 20 feet. You did not really need a light IMO.

Thanks, I defiantly prefer diving here as opposed to blue stone, I just wanted to make sure I would be able to find a dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom