Lake Ouachita - 9/24-9/25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're getting ready for this trip. I see Alan and Andrew are going. Will be nice to hopefully meet you guys. Anyone going this weekend?

Jarrett,
I was looking forward to the Trip but it was totally sold out a few weeks ago.
The last time I went in to check out spots there were none left- man that sucked!

So I am dry this trip unless I bring an inner-tube and they drag me behind the boat. I don't think that is the best idea either. However, have a great time.

Regards, Andrew

Jarrett:
We're getting ready for this trip. I see Alan and Andrew are going. Will be nice to hopefully meet you guys. Anyone going this weekend?

Jarrett:
Well maybe I will get to meet Alan then :)

My wife and I are staying in Hot Springs the 2 nights,,,but we will be a the camp-site Sat. a.m. with googles and flippers in hand!

I am dieing to hear the trip reports for this one! It was pouring buckets there yesterday and I know a lot of the 40 people that made this trip were camping.

I dont have much info to give unfortunately. The Park Ranger there scared me off and I didn't make the dive. He told us that by 11am the lake was going to be too dangerous for the boat to be on it. He went on to say the National Forest was closing and he had cancelled all of his boat tours on the lake because of the danger. Based on this info, we decided not to go. I think only about 10 people out of the original 60 ended getting on the boat.

It ended up the storm didn't hit until about 4pm, so I'm sure the trip was fine. We went back to see about diving this AM and they said they were going to dive until about 2-3pm, which would have put us back in DFW around 10pm or so and we didn't want to stay that long. Sooooo... We didn't even get wet except for the tropical strorm and small tornados that blew into the area Saturday afternoon.

It was gone by Sunday AM, but still overcast, rainy and about 75 degrees. Not sure how the dives or viz were. I'm not sure if Alan went or not. He was deciding when I walked off. (It was nice meeting you and your wife by the way, Alan! Maybe we can dive together next time :) )

Yep I dediced to get on the pontoon,,,,one half of me said NO and the adv. side said YES--yes won out.......we did only 2 dives at Zebra Rock,,,and the weather did turn very sore at 4pm as Jarrett indicated. 19 folks made the trip out,,,,and we ALL returned. The diving was good,,,,,,thermo at 30'...above and near the thermo temp. was 62f,,,,below and to 55ft it was in the 50'sf. Vis was good with 15' in the shallows and 20' at depth. Tons of rock walls and out croppings.....small fish and big turtles. Def. a must scuba dive visit again....this time just not in the tail-end of a hurricane!!
Jarrett...good meeting you and your girl friens---we should get together and dive in the future.

Yep, we buggered out after seeing the radar at the park ranger's office. We figured the dive would have been fine but I didn't want to break down my tent in the middle of a tropical storm. 6 of us left Ouachita and headed out to Murray along US 70 just N of of the TX border and did a couple of dives there and camped. Weather was great, food was better (loved Mom and Pop's).

Btw, the best way to Lake Murray is probably up 35, not 30 to Hot Springs to US 70 to Murray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom