Lake Ouachita Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The west end of the lake is not much different from the rest of it. The thermocline is only about 20 feet and there is a very thick haze layer on top of it. I have not dove for about 10 days so hopefully it will be clearing up a bit now that the warm weather and low rainfall season is here. Unfortunately the algae bloom will come next month and muck it up again. Weeds are not to bad between Brady and Crystal and thats where I find the fish hanging out.

JBH24D:
9mm:
I dove 3 sisters yesterday. The vis was poor around 6ft in some places. We did see lots of bass. with the lake being so high for so long the weeds are bad. If they do not get the weed problem under control they will take over the lake.[/QUOTE
Ever go to the west end of the lake?

I tried around island 26 and 27 this past weekend. Could not see much at all. Moved over around 11 and had too much company. We are heading back out the 13th thru the 17th of this month. Hopefully things will have setteled a bit.
Do you know if they ever found the lady that drowned a week ago around little fir? I have not seen it in the paper.

I have not heard in the news that they have found her. I have been following this story but have not heard if they have found her. Last I heard is they gave up on sonar and were going to use divers but the water was 170 FT in that area. There was another lady drowned two years ago I think. I do not think they found her either. If they did I missed it on the news.

We are going out if we can find an empty spot at Brady campground. Have reservations starting Sunday out on the end for four days, but hoping to find a non-reserved site earlier so we can stay for the full two weeks. I usually fish between points 3, 5, and Bird Island. Looking forward to much diving if I can find a spear-fishing buddy available through the week. Where do you stay on the lake? Crystal?

JBH24D:
I tried around island 26 and 27 this past weekend. Could not see much at all. Moved over around 11 and had too much company. We are heading back out the 13th thru the 17th of this month. Hopefully things will have setteled a bit.
Do you know if they ever found the lady that drowned a week ago around little fir? I have not seen it in the paper.

We have a place at Mt. Harbor. Would love to hook up with a few of you guys who spear on ouachita.
We will be out thursday of this week thru sunday around 11, 27, and maybe somewhere across from Shangra La. We have had some luck on the points close to the fish hatchery.

Did you get any spearfishing in? We went around point 14, with almost zero vis. Then moved north of 27, again poor vis. Moved up to the houseboat island and found a little better vis. with no fish. All in all it sucked, but beat working.
Hoping this weekend will be better.

I have been several times in the last few days. Vis is fair at best with most of it being rally poor. There's a lot of cloudy goop in layers, but it is not quite as dense as it was a couple weeks back. Tried near bird island and on several humps in the middle of the lake and on the north side of the open lake. Fish we found were where you find standing timber with lots of grass. They were deep in the grass or holding suspended out in the areas around the timber just above the thermocline. With the poor visibility it makes for really tough fishing, but there are fish there, and it definitely beats work.

Going back this afternoon, or in the morning to try it again. Maybe a big old Mr Whiskers will cruise past me and make my day. If not, then I can just lie there at the edge of the thermocline and keep cool.

JBH24D:
Did you get any spearfishing in? We went around point 14, with almost zero vis. Then moved north of 27, again poor vis. Moved up to the houseboat island and found a little better vis. with no fish. All in all it sucked, but beat working.
Hoping this weekend will be better.

Hopefully it will clear up in the next few weeks. I belive we are going to dive on the Mulberry River this weekend just north of Ozark. Should be a change of pace.
Let me know how the vis is this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom