Lantern from the CT River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well this is why I like and always wanted to dive the CT River. There is so much history there and I assume plenty of artifacts. This lantern was found in Mass. in the remanents of the old railroad bridge washed out during the 1936 flood. Probably not as much value as heritage in this lantern. Just fun to find stuff like this. The Patent date is May 6 90 and is an Adams & Westlake Latern. If anyone knows what kind it is please let me know ; I have no clue.

Nice!

Good thing it is freshwater and not salt!

Well I can see your point. It is heavy brass. After doing research it appears the lamp may have been part of the bridge. I've emailed some experts and lets see what comes up. I can't find this model anywhere.

Hear is the message I recieved from the collectors sight:

Chris:Neat find! Perhaps from a train wreck? It is a car lamp from a steam era railroad coach. Missing the wall bracket and connection thereto, as well as the wick knob and the drip cup at the bottom of the wick tube.
I know we don't have an Adlake catalog. I'd suggest contacting one of the Railroad collector sites, like "Key, Lock and Lantern" (see LINKS page). Or, we have one regular here who seems to know railroad lighting pretty well, and if he sees this, it might ring some bells. :: Fil Graff ::

great find, well done!

Well I have ID'd the model # now to find a picture of it in its whole condition.

Chris,
This Lamp is a No. 325 Burner Side Lamp Manufactured by Adams & Westlake in
the Early 1900's. From the picture, you have about half the lamp. I hope
this helps.
Thanks,

It's the kind that would light up a room. What did u think? HA! Really nice!!! Congrats on the find!

Yes I'de like to turn it into a wall lamp if I can get the right parts and get a shine out of it.

ScubaSarus:
Yes I'de like to turn it into a wall lamp if I can get the right parts and get a shine out of it.

Any ACEor HomeDepot are gonna have the parts (regular lighting kit - and wiring is easy... (Good thinking though - Why don't I have a creative side????)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom