Lasik Surgery Post Op Concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am presently an Instructor with PADI. I have been an instructor with PADI since 1985. I held a previous assitant instructor certification with NAUI since 1976.
I received my basic instruction with SSI in 1970. I have a medical question. I want to know if anyone has had any discussions about LASIK surgery and the effects of decompression and or bubble formation under the Corneal flap during the Post operative period. Also I am curious about the the effects of mask squeeze and any streching of the corneal tissue and possible tearing of the weaker scar tissue area. I realize that at least five days of healing is normal before regular activities in ambient conditions but what about in the diving environment.
Mark S. Froleich

Hi there Mark S. Froelich, my name is Matt. Welcome to the Board! You should enjoy it here, you will find lots of information about diving. You can also meet many nice people too. Have a fun time here. and safe diving. :thumb:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Mark S. Froelich:
I am presently an Instructor with PADI. I have been an instructor with PADI since 1985. I held a previous assitant instructor certification with NAUI since 1976.
I received my basic instruction with SSI in 1970. I have a medical question. I want to know if anyone has had any discussions about LASIK surgery and the effects of decompression and or bubble formation under the Corneal flap during the Post operative period. Also I am curious about the the effects of mask squeeze and any streching of the corneal tissue and possible tearing of the weaker scar tissue area. I realize that at least five days of healing is normal before regular activities in ambient conditions but what about in the diving environment.
Mark S. Froleich

Mark,

I had LASIK a few years ago (great results, the best money I ever spent). I wasn't a diver at the time but I do remember something about a post op restriction on diving for X amount of time. I wish I remembered all the details for you.

DAN has a statement on their site regarding LASIK. It's not too specific but it does suggest a 4 week layoff from diving.

I suggest you ask your doctor about this as he will be a much better source of information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom