lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sterndrive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
considering having lasik or laser eye surgery.should i be concerned with doing this as a diver?

Yes.

Do it on the surface in a sterile environment such as you would find in a hospital or medical clinic.

i had lasEk, not lasIk - the top layer is what is lasered, not a layer under a covering flap. i was out of the water for about 2 months (six weeks each eye, done 2 weeks apart) but absolutely no problems since & i'd recommend it for everyone who is a candidate.

Yes.

Do it on the surface in a sterile environment such as you would find in a hospital or medical clinic.

You made me laugh out loud (really, not "lol").

OP: I think this is such a great question and would have never even thought to ask! I am starting to become more and more interested in Lasik myself and it looks like I should do it in the "off season."

I just had lasik done in january. depending on where you go to have it done, they'll recommend that you don't dive for a specified amount of time (usually a month or so). I had to stay out of the water for a month, and cannot go to depths of beyond 30ft until april. it's winter, so i'm not worried about it. If you're thinking about doing it, just do it.

I just had lasik done in january. depending on where you go to have it done, they'll recommend that you don't dive for a specified amount of time (usually a month or so). I had to stay out of the water for a month, and cannot go to depths of beyond 30ft until april.

They might recommend not diving for a specified amount of time, and they might give you a recommended maximum depth, but you dn't "have to stay out of the water for a month" nor can you "not go to depths beyond 30 feet until April".

They're recommendations, not laws, and they're based on whatever your eye surgeon thinks is about right. To my knowledge there are no comprehensive controlled studies of Scuba Diving and LASIK.

No one really has any idea what effect, if any, the water pressure may have on the healing post LASIK cornea.

My son had it done last fall. His doctor said one month without diving, then no restrictions. We made a trip to the Keys about 6 weeks after his surgery. He was amazed at how much more he could see. Well worth the money.

I haven't had to purchase new glasses for a while. Imagine my suprise when I found out my prescription was 8 years old! I was thinking it couldn't have been more than 5.

Now I'm shopping for glasses and really would prefer High Index (-6 and -5.75) and it's almost $400 for a set with an "inexpensive" frame. I want to spend that on a new wetsuit!!

Lasik is becoming more and more appealing to me. Maybe I should just move forward with it. Everyone I've ever met has been more than happy with their results.

To the OP and Tina,

I had Lasik done on both eyes and have absolutely no regrets. When I figured the cost of exams, frames, lens, spare set etc. it was just getting to be too much money. Did I mention new mask with prescription too.

There was also the concern of not having my prescription mask when diving. I could not borrow one or just go buy one over the counter.

The healing process was 2 weeks. I went to work the very next day and resumed life as normal. I had to stay out of the water for 2 weeks and was "asked" to not go very deep for another 2 weeks.

I have been past 400' a few times and there have been no problems. My yearly eye exams have not shown any issues either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom