Last week off Comox BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice video

If something happens to my RB then I have to bail out to open circuit and I plan for that. So one 80 of bottom gas, one 40 of 50% and one of O2.

Don't forget also the 80 is not just my gas, it is also my buddies' if they have a problem.
If nothing happened to your RB, are you able complete this dive without touching the gas in the slinged bottles?

If something happened to one of your buddies, can you donate gas from your RB? Or is 50 mins of sharing the double hose back and forth too much/impractical?

Could you use the O2 bottle in your rebreather directly as the 100% deco gas or is it too much of a convolution?

Edit: I posted these questions before reading Richard's last reply.

If nothing happened to your RB, are you able complete this dive without touching the gas in the slinged bottles?

Yes. I run the RB with those little cylinders attached to the unit and use about 1/4 of the 02 and maybe 1/6 of the diluent.

If something happened to one of your buddies, can you donate gas from your RB? Or is 50 mins of sharing the double hose back and forth too much/impractical?

Can't be done.

Could you use the O2 bottle in your rebreather directly as the 100% deco gas or is it too much of a convolution?

[edit] I said I could but I can't. If I go off the loop then I can't breathe the 100% that's on the RB.

This is a pretty good question, although I don't think there's a DIR answer :wink:

Actually its not all that difficult to dive DIR in a mixed team, just put the CCR guy in the middle :eyebrow: Actually the hokey factor - way moreso than a CCR - was not being able to drift the ascent and constantly having to scooter back to the upline. That's ok on short decos but I don't think I'd do it this way ever again for 45+mins. This was a function of the charter and not really our choice at all. While we try to be adaptable, the fixed ascent was more annoying than it was worth IMHO.

Yes. I run the RB with those little cylinders attached to the unit and use about 1/4 of the 02 and maybe 1/6 of the diluent.

Can't be done.

[edit] I said I could but I can't. If I go off the loop then I can't breathe the 100% that's on the RB.
Thanks. The panorama is much clearer now.

Actually the hokey factor - way moreso than a CCR - was not being able to drift the ascent and constantly having to scooter back to the upline. That's ok on short decos but I don't think I'd do it this way ever again for 45+mins. This was a function of the charter and not really our choice at all. While we try to be adaptable, the fixed ascent was more annoying than it was worth IMHO.
Jonline?

This is a pretty good question, although I don't think there's a DIR answer :wink:

Actually its not all that difficult to dive DIR in a mixed team, just put the CCR guy in the middle :eyebrow: Actually the hokey factor - way moreso than a CCR - was not being able to drift the ascent and constantly having to scooter back to the upline. That's ok on short decos but I don't think I'd do it this way ever again for 45+mins. This was a function of the charter and not really our choice at all. While we try to be adaptable, the fixed ascent was more annoying than it was worth IMHO.

Stop it.

I don't see how that really solves anything honestly. There was a modest amount of current nothing you couldn't swim against if you had to. But keeping the anchor line in view along with 2 buddies is a pita. A Jonline would allow one person (the one with the longest line) to see the others but what about the guy in front? Or we all have the same length line and bang into each other. There's no way to put 3 people at the same stop depth & looking at roughly each other and an upline in current unless you drift the deco which removes the whole current issue. Then you can position like spokes of a wheel or diagonal-ish to see each other, show each other the MODs on your deco gas etc and keep track of the line at the same time.

The whole "hanging on the line" isn't DIR jazz is not so much because grabbing a line is <that> bad. Its because if you have to grab the line to hold on, seeing your buddies at the same time becomes exponentially more difficult - esp one that maybe forced to hang on above you. And forget about checking each other's 70ft switch hanging on a line.

Scootering the deco is better since you can stop, drift for a sec, show the cylinder you're switching to, switch, then scooter back to the line. Its still annoying for 45+mins though, esp. at the 20ft stop where we do a backgas break so there are 4 or more switches from 30ft up.

The purist in me would have preferred to dive with a RB80 guy using hotter than standard drive gases so we could match schedules despite the ppO2 drop. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom