Latest Back Treatment??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I did it. Don't know if it was because I was human, or stupid. But, yesterday when loading my boat I moved it incorrectly and dinged my back.

Lower back saddle pain, mild left leg paresthesia, no impaired range of motion, postional discomfort, no apparent loss of strength. Normal PSMs, except for the paresthesia, in limb.

Right now I'm self-treating with naproxen and doing gentle movement and stretching exercises.

What is the latest on treatment?

ArcticDiver:

Get to a back doctor ASAP... :wink:

I was involved in a car crash some years ago and was off work for close to 3 months :11: (I genuieinlly thought i'd never work again)

My GP prescribed Voltrol, No good, later he advised Phsyio, When the letter came back from the hospital i'd have to wait 3 months for a 3 quarter hour session.

Any way, phone my employer who refered me to a top london doctor, I left his appointment and went straight to private phsyio, 2 week later I was back in work :wink:

They taught me a set of exercises to strenghen my lower back muscles and to aligin all the tendons and ligaments, but more importantly the explianed that there is a set of muscles that run around your body and if you can use these they would help the pain. Just by tenseing these I can stop the pain, This has proved very useful since, as if I feel any pain I can stop it and go off and do some exercises and this normally cures it there and then.

I wish I could be more specific about the muscle group but I can,t remember what it's called. I know its a group that you would'nt even realise were there, I had to be trained to access them.

Perhaps one of the medical people can help.

Basically IMHO Physio is the way to go..

What I posted, along with non-weight bearing exercise, is the normal initial treatment for injuries such as mine. Often, the injury will resolve in a relatively short period of time.

But, I'm not up on the latest and it was the weekend so I thought I'd put a line out to see what happened.

Now it is the work week and I've had a chance to get more info. Seems this still is the accepted standard of care.

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do that.
Doctor: Don't do that.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but after many assorted "treatments" for my back issues, avoidance seems to be the best remedy.
Hope you're better soon!

Rick: Many long years ago, when Yoda was just a pup and my medical activity was oriented around the wilderness I was privileged to get outstanding counseling from an Orthopod whose patient mix included paratroopers and really old seniors.

His advise was to avoid back surgery at all costs Until I either had a deficit or in such pain there was no alternative. He gave me a lesson on the back's anatomy to support his view. That view was not universally shared by other orthopods. But as the years have gone by and I've seen the results of his recommendations vs. theirs I whole heartedly endorse his.

Get proper exercise, keep the weight off, if injured do what I posted above, as soon as possible start non-weight bearing excercise. There is more detail but that is for another day.

Thanks for your good wishes. I started my self-directed rehab today and am feeling better already.

ArcticDiver:
Ok, I did it. Don't know if it was because I was human, or stupid. But, yesterday when loading my boat I moved it incorrectly and dinged my back.

Lower back saddle pain, mild left leg paresthesia, no impaired range of motion, postional discomfort, no apparent loss of strength. Normal PSMs, except for the paresthesia, in limb.

Right now I'm self-treating with naproxen and doing gentle movement and stretching exercises.

I can empathize with you. I have had off and on back pain in the last several years. Something to do with the spongy stuff b/t two of the lower discs. It doesn't happen much anymore, but I try to be careful. Anyway, did you have an x-ray? If nothing shows up on the xray, but you hurt your back again, maybe an MRI might be in order. That's what happened with me. Nothing out of the ordinary showed up in xrays, but it did in the MRI scan. At least you'll know what, if anything, you're facing.

DandyDon:
Get to a back doctor ASAP... :wink:
Make it a neurologist.

Generally it's not an emergency situation unless there is a loss of strength or problems with urination. However the back is not something to mess with and based on your description you almost certianly have somthing touching the sciatic. Some PT may be helpfull.

James

ArcticDiver:

Might as well dish up the current orthodox medical view.

I presume by "saddle pain" you mean pain across the lower lumbar region.

The vast majority of simple uncomplicated back strains (which is what you probably have) will resolve with or without treatment. Rest if necessary, but not for more than 2-3 days. Early mobilisation is important. Physiotherapy often seems to help. (Though meta-analysis of various studies does not support its efficacy.) For analgesia, the anti-inflammatories (of which Naproxen is one) are fine. Meta-analysis of high quality clinical trials indicates that ibuprofen (Nurofen, Brufen) is the most effective at doses of 800 mg. That's probably too much for regular ingestion, but 400 mg is almost as good. (Paracetomol 100 mg/Codeine 60 mg is on a par, but is frequently associated with side-effects.)

I wouldn't be too concerned about the paraesthesia. It doesn't necessarily indicate nerve root irritation, and even if it did, it wouldnt' alter the management, unless it was accompanied by certain "red-flag" signs, which have already been alluded too. (Bowel or bladder problems or severe loss of power.)

No indication for X-rays (which are generally useless) or other types of imaging at this time. Abnormalities on MRI scans are frequent, and in most cases have no correlation to the symptoms.

If things don't settle after about 4 weeks, review is indicated.

beche de mer:
If things don't settle after about 4 weeks, review is indicated.

It's been nearly 4 weeks since the post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom