Latest Gas Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going rate in Cayman is $3.48 USD per gallon. It was as cheap as $3.22 USD a couple months ago.

Fortunately it's not a big island.

mexman once bubbled...
Here in Western Canada we're sitting on the second largest pool of known oil reserves in the world (Alberta Tar Sands) and we still pay an arm and a leg for gas. Go figure!:(

the problem with tar sands is that it require a vast amount more energy to extract the oil than be gained from the oil obtained. I wish I had the numbers in front of me, but it a very significant efficiency problem with today's technology.

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Gosh this stinks...

I have a 100 mile commute (about an hour and 40 minutes each way) and the current gas prices are a killer...

Anyone own a hybrid yet? I had seen some reports the fuel advantage is in stop and go / city driving more than prolonged r.p.m. driving...

I have heard some great things about the Volkswagon turbo diesels though?

Jeff

My wife to be is interviewing for a job about a hour or so north of hear. If that is the case we will definitely be looking at a hybrid...her brand new explorer gets an out standing 17mpg on the highway. However, the normal hybrids (civic and prius) don't get much better gas mileage than Civic HX. I doubt she will go for an Insight (ugly but fuel efficient) I wish the Escape Hybrid was out so she could have her SUV (ick!) and a fuel efficient car.

Actualy the tar sands are producing a sizable quantity of oil daily.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...

the problem with tar sands is that it require a vast amount more energy to extract the oil than be gained from the oil obtained. I wish I had the numbers in front of me, but it a very significant efficiency problem with today's technology.

The Alberta oil sands are thought to contain approximately one
third of the world's oil resources; it is estimated that some 300
billion barrels of oil from the sands are ultimately recoverable,
equal to or greater than the reserves of Saudi Arabia.

Currently the plants producing oil from the tar sands are producing well over 400 000 bbls per day. I worked at one of the sites for about a year, I believe they said that production cost was around $12.00cdn ($8.00usd) per bbl, between 20 - 25% more than conventional production costs.

The economics are there, but environmentaly the cost could be very high.

Our self sufficiency in fuel in the U.K. has never effected the price at the pump. The cheap unleaded is around $1 a litre here, so I guess for simplicity that makes it around $4.50 a gallon. Diesel costs a bit more. :D

I drive a 99 Jetta. To fill that up with regular gas (at a normal cost) ran me about $18/$19 to fill up.

Yesterday, I went to the local gas station, started to pump gas, went inside for a snack, returned to see that it cost $27.38 to fill up.

DAMN SO CAL!!!! :upset: $2.19 gallon! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

What really frustrates me is the fact that I drive 2 hours (round-trip) to work every day.

$2.35 average you say? WOW!

Perhaps I can ask for a gas-card if the prices go up!!! :evil: Hmmmm......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom